Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2004 Dixon RAM 50 ZTR and I was mowing with it yesterday
and turned off the PTO and when I attempted to turn the PTO back
on it did not engage.

I Shut the motor off and now it will not turn over... I suspect that the
PTO interlock switch is stuck.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem and are there
any service documents available for this model?

Thanks

japper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found a wiring diagram for this ZTR and traced it down and disconnected the clutch and now
at least I can start it up.

I need to find out how to get at the clutch to see if it is bad or if the wires going to it are shorted
as the are reading zero ohms resistance and I am not sure what a good clutch reads...

NorthBama

Threads
You should read some ohms resistance between 2 to 3 ohms.

japper

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks NorthBama

I looked at it again and the clutch measures ~ 4.5 ohms but the ZTR will not turn over
if it is plugged in. I want to take the clutch off and get a better look at it but I am not sure
how to remove it.

It has a bracket that keeps it from spinning and a bolt through it but I removed both and not sure if
it requires a special type puller... I don't want to force it.

Also, the clutch belt only connects to the clutch pulley and a deck pulley with no tensioner...

Do you know if there are any instructions out there how to remove the clutch?

NorthBama

Threads
Usually after taking the bolt out it slides off. you can try some pb blaster penetrating oil on the top side and let it soak into the top side of pto and shaft. sometimes when the pto goes bad it takes the switch with it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The PTO sits on a strait shaft with a rectangular key slot.
So only corrosion holds it in place after the bolt is removed.
SO don't pull it down with your face directly underneath unless you get off by having a bloddy nose.
They can come off really suddenly & quickly.

Ditto on the switch.
It is a simple sliding blade that the power to the starter solenoid has to pass through to start the mower.
They are not expesive but just make sure you get the right one there are a dozen different ones.

japper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Problem solved...
It turned out to be an intermittent flakey PTO switch that was sometimes measuring 60 ohms across the yellow interlock wires.

I switched the pto switch on and off a couple dozen times real fast and now it is working just fine. The clutch is also good and it starts and I can engage the blades just fine.