Photobucket

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
True enough Bert.

It's just the way photobucket held hostage my pics & those of many friends, wanting us to HAVE TO upgrade.

Oh yeah. they get 0 points for customer communications but when you think about it, if the object of the exercise was to "out" all the commercial sites then it had to be ambush before the web administrators could switch to another free hosting site.
A lot of web hosts down here were neck deep in poo.

And they did not hold your images hostage, they simply prevented the mass downloading so if I was hosting a lawn care site with 100 photos on it, it would take a long time to shift all the images.
About a week after bulk downloading got restored .
Not defending the way they did it but I can see logic behind it.
And all of my images still show up in 3rd party sites but there is only about 30 of them in the first place and about 200 links to an album so if you clicked a link here for example a new tab opens up in photobucket on your computer with my folder in it, thus photobucket gets the advertising revenue not Lawn World which is the object of the exercise.
Some people I know have thousands of images and they seemed to get hit early.
While a person will baulk at $ 400 /pa, if I am being paid to administer a bunch of web sites ( and I am ) then the $ 400 just gets divided into all of the sites then passed through as an increased hosting fee.
However I never use 3rd party feature if displaying images and always embed them in the web page because it makes the page load 10 times faster then if you want to display more then I can sell you more space .

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never seen the reason why these photo hosting sites came into existence.

For starters, it means the image exists in two places--on your device, from where you held it AND at some big server in the sky. Hopefully, anybody who did this was smart enough to retain their "original" copy.

It also means that anyone can rifle through your photos, looking for who-knows-what. They can also copy and paste the photos, sometimes attributing ownership to themselves, even claiming to copyright the photo YOU took.

There certainly is no need for photo hosting sites on this forum, where all you have to do is click "insert image" and upload from your own computer. And as full of spammers as this site is, I'm hesitant to post photos here. Apparently there is no verification done on new members.

wingless

Threads
All my forum images were obliterated by the Photobucket extortion.

My preference remains w/ third party hosting. I can drop the same images into multiple forums using the same Internet links. Once uploaded to the hosting site, then it is "easy" for me to utilize that image as-required w/o having to access my total image database. The images are displayed in my preferred 800x600 image size, w/o requiring clicking on a thumbnail.

All of my images are watermarked by me w/ a copyright marking to make unauthorized appropriation more difficult. There has been only one jerk on one rogue forum (posing as a legitimate forum) that has stolen any of my images, to my knowledge.

Here is an example, showing my transition to Flikr.

36176800571_dfccc5acf9_b.jpg

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I prefer the thumbnail images. There are some pictures I'd rather skip than have them thrust into my face.

wingless

Threads
Sure, the thumbnail image format can be a preference for some.

My experience is that toggling back and forth from normal-size image(s) (after clicking on the thumbnail) and the forum text (after clicking on the navigate back icon) is less efficient and less effective when reviewing a topic. When the full-size images are in-line w/ the text I find understanding the totality of the information when presented concurrently much more efficient.

unclelee

Threads
Just seeing if I can post a picture from my phone.
Yep... it's a process but it's there.

Attachments

• IMG_20170730_154348148.jpg
    IMG_20170730_154348148.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 9

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I've never seen the reason why these photo hosting sites came into existence.

For starters, it means the image exists in two places--on your device, from where you held it AND at some big server in the sky. Hopefully, anybody who did this was smart enough to retain their "original" copy.

It also means that anyone can rifle through your photos, looking for who-knows-what. They can also copy and paste the photos, sometimes attributing ownership to themselves, even claiming to copyright the photo YOU took.

There certainly is no need for photo hosting sites on this forum, where all you have to do is click "insert image" and upload from your own computer. And as full of spammers as this site is, I'm hesitant to post photos here. Apparently there is no verification done on new members.

Because disc space was very small and very expensive when things kicked off and image files were huge
I was involved with a web server run by a friend.
He used 1000 x 500 mb SCSSI disks for storage @ $ 300 each.
In those days we only had 8 bit words which effectively limited the accesable disc size to 400mb and the other 100 got chewed up with the disc directory.
Thus no web servers could afford to have a lot of photos hosted and remember line speeds were 28 kb/sec so an image could take better than a full minute to download.
To efficiently store an image you needed to format the hard disc differently to one that was only going to store data
So the internet would have choked to death with multiple images hosted on multiple sites.
The initial forums were nothing other than an email distribution system and Yahoo groups is about the sole remaining example of this type still running.
If you have been a member of a Yahoo group you would notice that posts can only contain text and images are kept on a separate drive which to the viewer appears as the photos folder.
Same with text files , graphs & charts.

The page you see before you does not exist anywhere but on your computer.
HTML , the internet language is in reality a desk top publishing applications that drags files off one or more servers then puts this here and that there on your computer.

Things changed when we went to 16 bit words and drives up to 32 Gb could be used
The current , just superceeded 32 bit word allows hard drives up to 120 Gb.
Current top end computers running 64 bit words allows drives up to 60 Tb

Thus up till around 2000 sites like photo bucket were essential for the internet to grow and in reality if all of the hosted images were moved to all the drives of the servers that they appear on the web would probably grind to a halt till every host quadrupled their discs capacity.

wingless

Threads
Welcome To The New Photobucket!

According to the Photobucket web site:

Photobucket has new management, and we are liberating your images!

As of today, your hosted images are live.

Photobucket has a new management team that wants to do the right thing. We are committed to earning back your trust and offering comprehensive and flexible image storage and hosting options for our customers. We’ve taken your feedback and made some changes to our pricing model that allows us to offer competitively priced plans that fit the needs of all of our customers.

Today, our current customers’ hosted images have been restored and Photobucket is introducing a new pricing plan that is built around everyone’s needs.

For a limited time, we are offering a new, competitive subscription package that includes ad-free storage and 3rd party image hosting for just $1.99 per month, or $19.99 per year - which is 95 percent less than the previous pricing model. A free subscription option will still be available to customers who do not require 3rd party image hosting.​

Here is their new pricing plan.
40389430000_1d41d062f0_z.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have OVER 8,700 "images" on a single 32gig FLASH-Drive, with room to spare, cost = $22.00 @ Office Depot ,. on sale and I made a back-up of that ..... just in case, ..... ALL my manuals, & Important documents I do the same way, my computer is practically empty, storing all your photo's on a "phone", computer, or a third party entity is asinine to me.

wingless

Threads
I have OVER 8,700 "images" on a single 32gig FLASH-Drive, with room to spare, cost = $22.00 @ Office Depot ,. on sale and I made a back-up of that ..... just in case, ..... ALL my manuals, & Important documents I do the same way, my computer is practically empty, storing all your photo's on a "phone", computer, or a third party entity is asinine to me.
Does your 32GB flash drive permit sharing images in forum replies, 3rd party image hosting?

The 3rd Party Image Hosting is the function that was discontinued for a year by PB. It is the function users like me require for effective / efficient forum activity.