Transmissons Stuck in Gear! Three of them.

Threads
I have three older Craftsman 42" riders, the green body ones, a 1976, 1977 & 1980, which all three have the same problem. After setting outside, covered with a tarp, the transmissions are all locked up in gear and will not shift.
I knew it probably is related to the weather, a lot of rain here the past month or so. Two of them are stuck in first gear. Yesterday wanted to use the 1980 model, but could not get it out of first gear.
All of the three mowers are build by AYP for Sears & very much alike, thus similar problems with the transmissions. I think they all have Peerless transmissions, but have not checked to be sure.

The question is: Is this a linkage frozen issue or internal issue? I have not tried any lubrication on the linkage, raining again today & forecast for the next few days.
I do have a nearly new mower, but like the older ones because of large 3 bin grass bagger system on them.

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IF they have been outside for a long while the brake will have rusted up solid
Pull the brake off then try to push the mowers they should roll fine.
internally very little can jamb other than the shift keys getting broken off by users trying to change gears while moving.
But that is not going to happen under the sheets.

Threads
The transmission will work under power. Able to drive it around, just cannot get it out of 1st gear or shift gears. It moves really slow in low & no reverse as I cannot shift the gears, so cannot use it that way.
I think when the weather clears up, will try some oil on the shift connections to see if they will help. It did the same thing-start of first grass cutting season, but after driving it around and trying to shift it, it finally shifted.
Not this time, no shifting at all. This has been a period of 3 months-had it down to do repairs on deck & new blades, etc. I cannot see any major rust that would cause this problem, but its hard to see the linkage,
hidden inside the body panel.

HughDaHand

Threads
It's pretty common for these trans to lock in a gear if left outside, at least it is here in the rust belt. Try unhooking the linkage at the trans and see whats stuck, the linkages or the shiftier in the trans. Most of the time you can free it up with some pb blaster soaking and genital persuasion.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's pretty common for these trans to lock in a gear if left outside, at least it is here in the rust belt. Try unhooking the linkage at the trans and see whats stuck, the linkages or the shiftier in the trans. Most of the time you can free it up with some pb blaster soaking and genital persuasion.

Genital persuasion ! THIS !!! I just gotta see ! ..( LOL )

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a "gentle persuader" a 3 lbs sledge. :laughing:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a "gentle persuader" a 3 lbs sledge. :laughing:

Actually Chuck, that sledge is BETTER known as a BMFH ! ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

Besides .... I'm waiting to see / hear about this genital persuasion !!!

Regwal

Threads
As others have suggested, disconnect the linkage and find out where the sticking is. If internal sometimes it can be freed by tapping input shaft gently back and forth. Do not be heavy handed and don't give up. Same with other linkage. Give your method a reasonable time for success before opening the transmission to find out what is happening. I suspect you will find something simple.

Threads
Oil did not help. Problem is the internal shifter-dried oil & moister, due to the age of mower.
Friend who works on mowers, said that is a big problem with older mower transmissions, even those that don't get wet a lot.
I did find several YouTube videos with same problem & cleaning of the transmission & internal shifter arm of rust & gunk.
The transmission will have to come out of the mower to do this, but no video to remove the linkage.

How do I take the linkage off, do I need to turn the mower on its side or upside down to get to it?
Looking down through the body of mower it is pretty tight working in that area, even to spray with oil.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!