320 Deck cutting

Glyn Robinson

Threads
Hey guys! I would like to ask a question about the cut quality of my JD 320 48" deck. It leaves stripes like the blades are not close enough. I always ude John Deere blades. All spindles are tight. What are your suggestions?? Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mow slower,
cut 1 notch lower
replace the blades
or any combination of the above

Mr Gil

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found I had to mow a tad more frequently, the problem is not unique to your mower.

Tenpoint

Forum Newbie
Threads
The 50" deck on my 285 did that, but only when turning too fast

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the blades.
They should come to within 1/8" & 1/16" of each other and be dead level.
If not the blades are wrong or have been made badly.

TJR345

Threads
Are you at wide open throttle when mowing.

mrclean417

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you using the 1/3rd rule? It's August, I normally have no problems keeping the yard looking tight mowing once a week. Normally, there are some Hot spots I can't afford to take care of with watering. Not this year though. If I go more then 4 days I'll be mowing close to half of the height of the grass and that leaves a buildup line on my mulching deck between the middle and right blade. Normally grass would eject out of the side port but with the Mulching insert in it has to settle back into the grass. With too much grass though it ends up on top.

Now this is just how the grass looks, have you checked to see if it's just discharge or if it's actual grass that's not been cut. Eventually he grass will go dormant and will keep up with it, throw the winterrizing fertilizer on and over seed. Throw the fertlizer on now, you'll be doing a reverse 1/3 rule. leaving only 1/3 of the grass.