2016 Hustler 52 vs 2017 Hustler 52

Bosgarage57

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am in the market for a new mower. I currently mow approx. 2 acres of hilly lawn in East Tennessee (not steep). My current mower is a Cub Cadet 52" lawn mower (not zero turn). It takes approx. 2 hours to mow everything.

My father, who lives next door, recently purchased a Kubota 72" diesel mower, wow that thing is amazing, but VERY Expensive.

I was looking at the Hustlers last year, and seen they currently have on their website you can finance for 48 months for 0% interest. I would have to get mine from Lowes though, I'm not sure of a dealer around here.

The Dilemma:

I found a 2016 Hustler 52, lady says they are moving and don't want to take it with them, no hour meter, but stating used less than 20 hours. I believe it has the Kohler engine. They are asking $2,200 for it.

I can buy a brand new one from lowes with the Kawi engine for $2,800.

Is the warranty transferrable on the used one? I am assuming not. In a perfect world I'd love to have a 60" to mow quicker, as I don't have a lot of trees around my house, but im still assuming the ZTR will be quicker than my current mower.

Is the Kohler better than the Kawi, why did they change motors?

Bosgarage57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Edit: Seller came down a little bit on price, im very intrigued on buying this even if I can't get a warranty for it. Looks like the hour meter is easy to install, anything I should look for in particular?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Deck hanger bolts breaking
Hydro bracket broken.
Heat shield for muffler so it won't burn your lawn.

Bosgarage57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Deck hanger bolts breaking
Hydro bracket broken.
Heat shield for muffler so it won't burn your lawn.

Thanks! I noticed a couple people had issue with the deck hanger, will search for the hydro bracket as well.

mhavanti

Threads
I'd go for the SD60 personally, however, you're looking at 4499.00. You can do a zero interest for 48 months and it will have a 3 year 300 hour warranty.

If the used Raptor can be purchased for 1500, I'd jump on it. It will do what you want to do and I wouldn't worry about the bolts, hangers and heat shield. You can purchase all the bolts for ten bucks or less, make a heat shield out of soffit aluminum you can pick up free from a home construction site doing soffit and facia.

Change the oil immediately, make sure the hydraulics are full with 20W50 motor oil of any brand, doesn't matter. Purchase a 3 dollar (seen them that low more than once) hour meter, a 3 dollar amp gauge and then just use it up.

I believe the warranty is transferable, however, I don't know for sure.

Good luck in your choice.

Max

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd borrow or rent your father's mower. A Kubota diesel can surely handle mowing two yards.

kraky

Threads
Yes... warranties are transferable to the new owner I hope your lady bought it at a reputable dealer and not a box store that will help a lot.
I like the kaw engine better than the kohlers but some people feel the other way. If you have a fairly smooth lawn you'll probably like the unit plenty fine no matter which one you pick but if you don't have fairly smooth ground it could be a pretty rough ride with that light of a unit and a heavier-duty one might be in order. I don't think there are transaxle brace situations with the normal Raptors but there is with the raptor SD which is being addressed by a new part.

Top98Percent

Threads
Personally, I'd have to get the price of the used one to at least 1/2 of what I would spend for it new.

Pay your father $20 rent each time you needed to mow. About how many times a year do you mow?

PM'd you a 10% off coupon for Lowe's if you go that route.

Just recently went through the new ZTR research/purchase process. Careful going down that rabbit hole ;-)

FYI: $200 discount for the Raptor Season Sales event ends 7/5.

Last edited: