carburator springs

merc68

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an MTD lawnmower with a Briggs and Stratton engine. The engine model number is 12H802, 0652-01
I am trying to repair it because it wouldn’t start. It has been sitting idle in the shed for a few years now.
I changed the needle seat and needle. I cleaned every crevice and hole with carb cleaner and a small piece of wire.
It starts but it still revs either too high or too low. It needs the springs for the throttle and governor.
I don’t know what or how many springs I need I don’t know where they go. . And I can’t find a good pic of this engine
Can anyone post a picture?
Thanks
Paul

merc68

Forum Newbie
Threads
wow-that is a very long document. It has tooooo much information.
I can't figure anything out inn there.
here is a pic of the top of the carb.
2c. Briggs and Stratton Model 12H802.JPG
It looks like it is missing a connecting rod (the thing with the big loop in it. And a spring.
If anyone could give me the part numbers of the missing parts, that would be great.
Also I would need to know what holes in the picture I labeled to put the spring or rod into.
Thanks

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
wow-that is a very long document. It has tooooo much information.
I can't figure anything out inn there.
here is a pic of the top of the carb.
View attachment 32957
It looks like it is missing a connecting rod (the thing with the big loop in it. And a spring.
If anyone could give me the part numbers of the missing parts, that would be great.
Also I would need to know what holes in the picture I labeled to put the spring or rod into.
Thanks

Yes I agree, the manual IS a bit overwhelming for a "new" to this agenda. Briggs makes hundreds of engines with hundreds of different linkage configurations, getting the right one is the key. it's hard to distinguish what model carb you have with just the overhead shot you took. The pic is fine but a few more at different views would be very helpful
there are many variations of these carburetors.

merc68

Forum Newbie
Threads
here are a few more pics of the carb, with and without the filter) I hope it helps
Looking thru the manual again from sections 3, 4, and 5, I gather it is a LMS carb with a dual element filter.
I hope these pics can help determine that. Note also the pic with 2 springs. I fixed (or tried to, LOL) 2 mowers so I don't know if these springs actually go to this carb.
Thanks
2d. Briggs and Stratton Model 12H802.JPG2e. Briggs and Stratton Model 12H802.jpg2f. Briggs and Stratton Model 12H802.jpg2f1. Briggs and Stratton Model 12H802.jpg2g. Briggs and Stratton Model 12H802.jpg2h. Briggs and Stratton Model 12H802.jpg2j. Briggs and Stratton Model 12H802.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need governor linkage part number 691829 which hooks into an arm under the blower housing on the fuel tank end of the engine. The carb end connects into the black circle on number 1 on your picture. The spring then connects to the eye in the linkage and the hole at number 2 on the picture. part number for the spring is 699056.

numbers 3 and 4 in your picture is where the kill switch goes on engines that don't have a engine brake. Like what is used on pressure washers etc.

merc68

Forum Newbie
Threads
great--thank you
with your instructions and finding the parts on line I finally understand.
Now all I have to do is find that arm under the blower LOL

I let you know how I make out when I get it running

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
It might be easier to TEMPORARILY remove the blower housing ( shroud) to assist in seeing everything, might want to check your eng. cooling fins for debris /clogging while it's off . ..:thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need governor linkage part number 691829 which hooks into an arm under the blower housing on the fuel tank end of the engine. The carb end connects into the black circle on number 1 on your picture. The spring then connects to the eye in the linkage and the hole at number 2 on the picture. part number for the spring is 699056.

numbers 3 and 4 in your picture is where the kill switch goes on engines that don't have a engine brake. Like what is used on pressure washers etc.

Isn't that the governor linkage rod sitting under the crank case vent tube in picture 6.
That set up is different to what we get down here.
And we rarely see a mechanical governor push mower engine.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
A LESSON LEARNED ..??

here are a few more pics of the carb, with and without the filter) I hope it helps
Looking thru the manual again from sections 3, 4, and 5, I gather it is a LMS carb with a dual element filter.
I hope these pics can help determine that. Note also the pic with 2 springs. I fixed (or tried to, LOL) 2 mowers so I don't know if these springs actually go to this carb.
Thanks
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

NOT trying to "rub it in" but perhaps if you had taken these pics of the carb BEFORE ..work on it began, you could have avoided this "hiccup" .. I tell people to ALWAYS take pics of whatever you work on , they become a "reference-manual' you can always delete them , but they may also prove helpful to someone else ..such as in your case !!