Briggs no spark, did i screw up my flywheel?

Dimchesrq

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, I've been battling a no spark condition all week on my weed eater briggs engine 10t802 push mower.

Replaced spark plug, even replaced ignition coil, and still no spark.

I ruled out the kill wire by disconnecting it.

I also recently found out that the damn ignition module needs a small gap between the fly wheel about business card size. A few months ago i had to take the module out but put it back on the flywheel with no spacing. Somehow i guess the mower worked like this but i fear now the flywheel magnetism is gone.

One side of the flywheel is strongly magnetic but the other half is not at all. Is it supposed to magnetic all around? Can this cause no spark?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
NO.
Your flywheel sounds fine.
One side has a magnet and the other side a counterweight to balance the magnet.
If the magnet will pull a screwdriver in from about 1" away then it is fine.
However if the flywheel has been rubbing on the coil then the heat generated may very well have cooked the chip inside.
Unfortunatel there is no way of testing apart from substitution ( when you can do it with a hf signal generator & silly scope or a $ 40,000 test machine ) so take your old one to your friendly mum & pop mower repair shop and ask nicely if they can test it for you.

Dimchesrq

Forum Newbie
Threads
NO.
Your flywheel sounds fine.
One side has a magnet and the other side a counterweight to balance the magnet.
If the magnet will pull a screwdriver in from about 1" away then it is fine.
However if the flywheel has been rubbing on the coil then the heat generated may very well have cooked the chip inside.
Unfortunatel there is no way of testing apart from substitution ( when you can do it with a hf signal generator & silly scope or a $ 40,000 test machine ) so take your old one to your friendly mum & pop mower repair shop and ask nicely if they can test it for you.

Yeah but i replaced the coil and still no spark. What could the issue be?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does your coil have a metal black cap on the end that fits on the spark plug?

Sometimes the cap breaksdown electrically inside.

If it does then pull the metal cap off which is conneted with a push fit connector on the end of the HT lead.
Once off fit the HT lead connector to the spark plug to see if it starts.

Dimchesrq

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does your coil have a metal black cap on the end that fits on the spark plug?

Sometimes the cap breaksdown electrically inside.

If it does then pull the metal cap off which is conneted with a push fit connector on the end of the HT lead.
Once off fit the HT lead connector to the spark plug to see if it starts.

I don't think there is any cap, it's just like a rubber boot.

Dimchesrq

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wow ok. Lawn mowers are weird. I got it to start today right away but without the kill wire plugged in. I swear i tried that yesterday but maybe didnt prime enough.

I thought it was the wire but it's not actually the wire, it was the mechanism on the other side of the wire attached to on that brake pad thingy. When i pull down the start bar, it was traveling very little therefore not letting the wire close or open the circuit for the coil to activate (don't know whether it closes or opens it)

So i fixed the start bar travel problem and the thing works beautifully now!!