Giving a new life to my existing lawn!!!

Lianne_gray

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mulching is a very effective method for your garden as well as lawns. The advantages of mulching are vast and it increases day by day. Mulching retains the moisture, control the weeds, prevents soil erosion and maintain the soil rich with nutrients. Garden or lawns get a finished look with mulching. It also contributes to a green and healthy environment.
Mulching a lawn has a lot of benefits:
1) The first thing is the selection of a modern mower that is only made for mulching.
2) Cutting should be done every 7 days to avoid clumps.
3) Try to cut the lawn a little bit higher for tall grass to hide the clippings.
4) It is better to mulch late in the morning for the dew to dry or else the mower will not work well.
5) Try different mowing patterns every week.
I have a lawn in the backyard of my house. It was fully destroyed by weeds. I didn't know how to redevelop the existing lawn. Now I am planning to transform the lawn into a beautiful garden. I am looking for some native plant seeds and herbs for my garden. Is mulching beneficial for the dead lawn? Please share your valuable suggestions. Thanks for the time.

Finist

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks like a description of the actions for the kindergarten))

TJR345

Threads
Mulching is fine however you must aerate your lawn (core/plug type) or your thatch buildup will eventually choke your lawn out.You must also monitor the thickness of the thatch and dethatch when necessary. Usually every other year is good for dethatching.

Zak88lx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I used to always bag, but I have started mulching with my Lawnboy Gold-Pro 10424 with Duraforce 2 stroke.
It does a decent job, and has plenty of power for the re-cutting of grass.

I also get the lawn aerated and dethatched every other year.
I'm considering topping the lawn with an organic soil in the spring after aeration, as I've heard that will add nutrients back into the lawn.
Our dirt is made up of clay which I have heard resists fertilizers.

Pumper54

Threads
Mulching will not do a lot for the dead areas of your yard. You need to use a tiller to break up the ground, add in a layer of organic compost, till that in, rake smooth the ground making sure you slope away from the house for proper drainage and then re-sod or seed followed by a light rolling to insure contact of the sod/seed to the soil. Use of a "soil activator" is recommended. Then proper watering till the yard is established. That is what is recommended for yards down here in Texas.

Mulching is good but as other have said core aeration and a compost top dressing done every few years can't hurt along with dethatching as needed.
Tom