Troy Bilt Super Bronco with Kohler engine

TBSBH

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy Bilt Super Bronco, Model 13WQ93KP011 with the Kohler KT735, 50" deck. Way too many problems. New gas and filter. New air filter. New oil. New plugs. It would only start and run on chokc. Then I moved the throttle lever up and down 6-7 times. It would then run normal. Turned it off and now it will not start unless I pour a little fuel down the carb. This thing has been a pain in the neck. And what is that wire going to the bottom of the carb for?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A pickie of the control plate for the carb would be good.
When the throttle cable is on choke it has to move the choke butterfly to close it.
If the cable anchor gets loose the cable does not move the control far enough to engage the choke fully.

The thing under the carb is offically called an anti-backfire control valve.
It is a spring loaded solenoid that jambs a plug into the end of the main jet cutting off fuel to the engine

If the carb has been cleaned properly, fuel supply to the carb confirmed, float bowl full but the engine only runs for a minute or so when fuel is poured down the carb then the solenoid is No 1 suspect.

TBSBH

Forum Newbie
Threads
A pickie of the control plate for the carb would be good.
When the throttle cable is on choke it has to move the choke butterfly to close it.
If the cable anchor gets loose the cable does not move the control far enough to engage the choke fully.

The thing under the carb is offically called an anti-backfire control valve.
It is a spring loaded solenoid that jambs a plug into the end of the main jet cutting off fuel to the engine

If the carb has been cleaned properly, fuel supply to the carb confirmed, float bowl full but the engine only runs for a minute or so when fuel is poured down the carb then the solenoid is No 1 suspect.

I'm still at it. Long story short. My friend brought it to the shop previous and they guy cut the end of the fuel cut-off solenoid off. So it's not that. I did install a fuel cut-off valve. Cleaned it all. Ran wires through the jets that run up through the center of the bowl. New gas. New plugs. New fuel filter. It will start and run at low idle to medium speed. Any thing above medium and it surges high low high low as the governor goes up and down. The original problem was it would only run on choke but after moving the throttle up and down six or 7 times it was working. Then my friend accidently put gas in it that had water in the can. That's where I'm at now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm still at it. Long story short. My friend brought it to the shop previous and they guy cut the end of the fuel cut-off solenoid off. So it's not that. I did install a fuel cut-off valve. Cleaned it all. Ran wires through the jets that run up through the center of the bowl. New gas. New plugs. New fuel filter. It will start and run at low idle to medium speed. Any thing above medium and it surges high low high low as the governor goes up and down. The original problem was it would only run on choke but after moving the throttle up and down six or 7 times it was working. Then my friend accidently put gas in it that had water in the can. That's where I'm at now.

Surging is always not enough fuel for the amount of air.
So either not enough fuel passing through the carb or
Air leak between the carb and the engine.
I like to use WD 40 in a trigger pack.
start engine then spray all around the manifold.
Engine speed changes, blows white smoke ect, then an air leak has sucked the WD 40 into the engine.
Tighten nuts & bolts, replace gaskets etc etc etc.

Remove carb and clean again, some can be a real pain to get clean.
check the float valve & the float height, if it is too low it will surge.
If the fuel filter is blocked it will surge
if there is an obstruction in the fuel lines it will surge.