Price Check Used 14SBs

tshop01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Two part question guess.
I received this mower (can't quite seem to find anything about one with a S after the SB, but it clearly has a lower case one right after it) from family.

1) I did not like the feel of using a self propelled lawn mower, and it seemed overly complicated for my needs, so I stored it in the shed out back for a couple of years (admittedly without removing the gas).
I think it was stored in a family garage for something like 15 years prior to that, but someone got it in running condition before I received it.
Not surprisingly, it is not starting. What are the likely issues this may have created, how do I efficiently check for them, and what do I do for them?
What comes to mind is gummed up fuel lines, spark plug, filters, etc.

2) I got it out of the shed in part because my girlfriend's brother has a friend looking for a decent mower. Assuming I get it running reliably, what would be a fair price for it?
I do not get the sense that he is looking at it is a collector/restorer would.
If I do not get it running reliably (and so do not sell to the friend) what would be a good venue for selling it in a non-working condition, and what would be a fair price for that?
... or is this mower desired enough that, if I get it running, I should hold off on selling it because I could get a much higher price from someone that is interested in this
specific make/model?

-Tom

Last edited:

JoeM(GA)

Threads
14sbs=

1= 21inch cut
4= 4 stroke engine
S= self propelled
B=Blade brake clutch
S= splash lubricated

I show them listed with the splash lube, but every 14SB with a Kawasaki I ever saw had the oil pump, I would assume this was to bring in one at a lower price, these were not cheap mowers, but are build like tanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two part question guess.
I received this mower (can't quite seem to find anything about one with a S after the SB, but it clearly has a lower case one right after it) from family.

1) I did not like the feel of using a self propelled lawn mower, and it seemed overly complicated for my needs, so I stored it in the shed out back for a couple of years (admittedly without removing the gas).
I think it was stored in a family garage for something like 15 years prior to that, but someone got it in running condition before I received it.
Not surprisingly, it is not starting. What are the likely issues this may have created, how do I efficiently check for them, and what do I do for them?
What comes to mind is gummed up fuel lines, spark plug, filters, etc.

2) I got it out of the shed in part because my girlfriend's brother has a friend looking for a decent mower. Assuming I get it running reliably, what would be a fair price for it?
I do not get the sense that he is looking at it is a collector/restorer would.
If I do not get it running reliably (and so do not sell to the friend) what would be a good venue for selling it in a non-working condition, and what would be a fair price for that?
... or is this mower desired enough that, if I get it running, I should hold off on selling it because I could get a much higher price from someone that is interested in this
specific make/model?

-Tom

Yep. gummed up carb. fuel lines. even blocked tank outlet. corrosion on plug ( put a new one in ) rust on valve holding it open.
A bit pg staring fluid down the plug hole , new plug give it a pull and tell us what happened.

tshop01

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am guessing by plug you mean a spark one (just to be sure there is not some fuel plug or something, as I know a minimal amount about engines).
Already took out the spark plug late last night, figuring starting there would be cheap.

Sounds like I need starting fluid.
Anything else I need for my initial attempt.
Is getting some carburetor cleaner worth doing too?

Also, if so, is there a way to get at the carburetor without taking anything significant off of the mower?
It looks like there is a straight shot through the home beneath the air filter, but I do not want to assume anything.
... and the starter fluid gets sprayed into where the spark plug goes, correct?

tshop01

Forum Newbie
Threads
And does it need to be a specific kind of starting fluid (pq?)/best place to find that?
Seeing one (so just one) thing that say car starting fluid creates potentially too much force.
I plan to get the spark plug at the auto supply store. I would hate to get something there that is for car engine only an foul up the mower.

tshop01

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, I sprayed a bit of starting fluid into the spark plug hole, and put in the replacement plug.
I think it ran for about a second and then stopped.
Tried it again and got a alarming loud popping sound, but no ignition.
Pulled a third time and nothing.

Sprayed carb cleaner deep into the tube the filter surrounds and got it to run for another one second span.
Think I got it to start maybe one other time out of 15 attempts.

I have a bit of a fear that the pop was the head gasket. Didn't sound the same as a car backfiring. It was higher pitched (maybe just because it is a mower) and crisp.

Told the buyer (who was considering it for mower purposes) that it probably not going to work out in a near time frame.