Variator Drive Question

LarryJohnson

Threads
Could a missing variator idler spring cause the drive to take a few moments to kick in when the "transmission" is engaged. I'm troubleshooting mine and noticed that I don't have such a spring. It's shown at the bottom of the following diagram.

Here's what my variator and belts look like. The center hub on the variator moves up and down freely.

..And what's the part number for the rear drive belt. All I could find was the number for the primary drive belt. Thanks

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I did a major parts replacement on mine a few years back, I had problems with mower movement and researched much about this mower, Anyway, yes the 2 springs for the variator assy. are necessary. I've added a few pics to help you see proper placement BTW ( they are in your Owners Instructions ).

VAR B.JPG VAR A.JPG

DSCN1571.jpg...DSCN1559.jpg...DSCN1565.jpg

Guess you forgot , I told you awhile back we have the same Murray mowers !!!
OH 1 more thing , if you're NOT useing OEM Murray belts, buy a bottle of Excedrin for those headaches !

LarryJohnson

Threads
I did a major parts replacement on mine a few years back, I had problems with mower movement and researched much about this mower, Anyway, yes the 2 springs for the variator assy. are necessary. I've added a few pics to help you see proper placement BTW ( they are in your Owners Instructions ).

Guess you forgot , I told you awhile back we have the same Murray mowers !!!
OH 1 more thing , if you're NOT useing OEM Murray belts, buy a bottle of Excedrin for those headaches !

Thanks Boobala. I have one spring. Will order the other. As far as belts, I've found the part number for the longer belt, but Jacks Small Engine exploded view shows no number for the rear belt. Where did you buy your belts.
Wow, that rebuild must have cost you a fortune.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Larry first lets see if you can get this manual click on the link ,save the manual to your documents or downloads folder whatever ,...then open it , make sure you have it

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25103&d=1424541619

either post that you got , ..it or send me a PM.. (this is your Murray Mower Owners Guide)

Then I'll walk you through the right parts you need , ..Boobala

LarryJohnson

Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks Boobala. I have one spring. Will order the other. As far as belts, I've found the part number for the longer belt, but Jacks Small Engine exploded view shows no number for the rear belt. Where did you buy your belts.
Wow, that rebuild must have cost you a fortune.

The rear belt is in the diagram with the transaxle on it.

LarryJohnson

Threads
The rear belt is in the diagram with the transaxle on it.

Ah, thanks. I should have thought to look at other diagrams.
I found a spring locally that will do, so holding off on the belt replacement for now. I'll know where to find them when it comes time to replace.