John Deere 420

MichaelT

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am looking for a replacement for my 420 electric clutch single wire.an upgrade clutch if possible.
Thanks MichaelT

MichaelT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check your part number to make sure this is the one.
http://xtremeope.com/replacement-fo...W8LM94-_exqRpLrmuh_ze-a8pzmd4rbhgUaAjBq8P8HAQ
I like this after maeket brand. Very good reviews.

Thanks for the reply guys ,
Ok here's my story about the 420.a woman I knew had asked me if I could take a look at her mothers mower . She told me that it hasn't ran since her father pasted , several years ago. So I went over, and her mother met outside when I pulled up .she says its in the barn , to please take a look at it. So I went in and looked at it, it needed gas and a new battery for starts .it had a plow on it and chains on the rear tires , and looking at it in a barn ,in not so good light, it didn't look to bad . Barn dirt and bird **** on it ,a little TLC and it would look real nice . Ok now where is the mower deck , found it upstairs in the barn .there was no deck belt on it , so I looked around and and found the old belt , of course it was bad . Told the home owner what it would take to possibly get it started and I would return with the parts to try and get it going .I returned a couple days later with a new battery, gas , starter fluid . So I cranked it over , choked half way little gas down the carb , till pump picked up and bam , the Onan was alive !! So I drove it on the landscape trailer and took it home with the deck not attached , to figure out how to put the deck back on , never knowing how it all goes back together. Ok got the decks on ,now no belts from the clutch to the lower pully, back to the barn for a major search for the belts and any paper work for this tractor. .found the belts but no paper work was found ,even from the homeowner. Ok back to the 420 , I installed the belts , every thing looked good found the single wire to the clutch was unplugged, I plugged it back in and started it back up , I crossed my fingers and hit the switch to engage the clutch. Nothing, of course nothing. Went on the internet and looked some things up ? Omg , I went to remove the clutch and found, that some one had welded or tacked in the key way grove. Can you feel the pain !! Now what !! I got the saw zaw out and cut it off and I got the knotch for the key way cleaned out like it was new . It took a lot to get it to this point. Ok , now I need a clutch . I called a friend that worked for a John Deere dealer and gave him the serial #or the product identification number. *moo420x111838* and he says there is no information for that number . What !! Ok hell with that direction. I put the number in on JD web site and got nothing . Omg ,put it in the search box to try and find anything on the web , found some things but not the # for the clutch that is needed for this 420!! Ok went to the home owner and to her the news that I was going through and she said just bring it back and put it in the barn . Ok so that's it , I took it back to the barn and left it there really pissed off !! Well a couple weeks later, I saw my friend that asked me originally to look at the tractor , and said her mother is looking to sell it . Well when I had it at my house looking things up on it . I looked to see what it was worth . Wow $$. Well I told her to let me think about it and I would come up with a price , because I thought that she or her mother looked up prices also. So as I was walking way, she says , just between me and you my mother said she would take anything less than $400.00 and no more than $500.00 !! Omg , I started shaking , and said ok , call your mother and tell her I'll be over with cash in an hr. I ran to the bank then home to pick up the trailer and flew over there . Well I'm the owner of it and I told her that it was worth way more that I paid her , well I made her a deal if she needed any work on the house or barn just call . Yes I did feel bad, but I couldn't pass up this deal .well that's the story about the 420 and still to this day, I can not find out what clutch is needed for it !! The shaft that it goes on is about 1 1/4 , if I remember rite .also I'm not sure of the motor size ether. I'm going to try to get it all together and mow with it , that's if I can find the clutch!!
Thanks for reading and any information would greatly be appreciated .
Michael T