8 HP Troy Bilt Tiller: Runs, Stops suddenly, Then starts right back up

Tim-1

Threads
  • / 8 HP Troy Bilt Tiller: Runs, Stops suddenly, Then starts right back up
Model: 195437 Type: 015001 Code: 82030112

Over 35 years old, Dad used it a lot for 20 years, then I used it a little for 10 years, no one used it for last 5 because of hard starting (when it would start, needed to keep choke on at least half way). Decided to replace original carb with one from China. New air filter, fuel line and filter. Fuel tank drained and cleaned. Now it starts well, but after about 1 minute of run time, suddenly stops like someone has turned the key off (has electric start, but do not use, I do have an old battery connected), but one pull of the starter cord and it starts right up again. The fuel cap breather is not plugged.

Engine has never been disassembled. If I put my finger over sparkplug hole, I can feel compression and the spark seems good.

Read online that maybe the problem is the float not working properly? Theory is the engine suddenly starves, but by the time I walk around to pull-start it, there is enough fuel flowing into carb to run another minute?

The pics show the key switch, electric start wires and the throttle cable with the wires removed and now in a wire nut. I can turn off the tiller by using the key.

Looking for suggestions.

Attachments

• Troy Bilt Key.jpg
    Troy Bilt Key.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Troy Bilt Solenoid.jpg
    Troy Bilt Solenoid.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Troy Bilt Wire Nut.jpg
    Troy Bilt Wire Nut.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 11

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Tim-1

Threads
Finally ran tiller again, and the same problem was occurring. Now I decided to tear apart the new carb. The float was not set correctly to be level. It was off by 3/32". Now the float is level, and the tiller is running fine!! I am sure a valve adjustment would also help, but that was not the primary problem at this time, thanks for the suggestion!