Blade removal help

Doug01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi! Haven't been on here in a while. I'm having some bad luck. Mower is a Husqvarna YTH 2348. Recently acquired in a trade. I was mowing and the pulley went bad and fried my belt. So since I was down I was going to remove the blades to sharpen or replace. I could not get the bolts to budge. I have one turning but it is turning the mandrel and the bolt is not coming out. Any help/ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Doug

Doug01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hmm just walked past mower.... if the belt is on and I have the blade blocked....will the belt keep the mandrel from spinning?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Belt makes no difference.
The blades sit on a coarse spline so if you hold the blade the shaft should not be able to spin.
They make tools for holding the blade without damaging anything.
Most just use a block of hardwood jambed between the deck & blade.
I use a rattle gun in the workshop & just hold the blade in a gloved hand.
In the field I have a 6' length of rectangular hollow section and a 6' spannar.
The nuts self tighten in use so can be a bugger to undo.

Doug01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gotcha on the belt. I had wood in there on the blade. I thought I was getting the bolt loose but then saw the mandrel/pulls turning. I'm really hoping something else isn't screwed up

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the shaft is turning and the blade is not turning then either you have the wrong blade fitted or the spline ( called star ) on the end of the shaft is buggered.
I have on regular occasion resorted to cutting the head of the bolt off.
Once it is off tension is relieved and the bolt that had resisted my biggest rattle gun for hours just screwed out with my fingers.