Hydraulic Pump one Wheel Motor?

jeffmc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a '07 John Deere Z445 Zero Turn with a 54" deck. On level ground, it goes fine. Trying to go up a small grade in the yard, the left side won't go at all. This mower has a single hydro pump so I'm not sure if it is the Wheel motor or the pump itself. I'm fairly mechanical so I'd like to do this myself...just don't want to throw money at the wrong issue. Thanks,

Jeff

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check your hydro pump oil lever and color. It should look light brown. Any other color and it should be changed. If the pump is bad both motors would be having problems unless you have a blockage in the oild lines somewhere.

jeffmc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found the problem! Took the LH wheel off last night. Upon closer inspection, I could see a build up of plastic on one side of the idler pulley. I slid the belt off but could not rotate the idler...it was locked up! I removed it and could tell that the belt wore the plastic off of one side side the idler was locked up. I got a new one and belt at my local JD dealership and installed them after work today. Ran perfectly!

Lesson learned; don't just look...look closely. Rotate belts and pulleys by hand if possible so you can feel any anomalies. Think small first. Woulda saved me some time if I performed a better inspection.

Jeff