Fan Shroud/Engine Cover

CraftsmanOwner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone, I have a 2014 Craftsman 7400 Pro Series with the 26HP Kohler motor with a 54" deck. I'm having problems with the service tech from Sears where I bought the mower and extended warranty from and it's good until 2019. The fan shroud cracked at the bolt holes and broke off the engine. The service tech says it's "just for ascetics and doesn't help cool the engine". It's been a couple weeks since he's been out to replace the broken EZ Change system on the mower deck and now after 20 minutes of operating the mower, you can visually see lots of heat radiating off the engine and a hot smell. My question, is the fan shroud (looks like a funnel over the fan) required on the mower, or am I wrong? I've looked the part up on sears, it's about $25. But it says it takes on average 2 hours to replace. The service calls are covered under warranty so it won't cost me anything to call the service tech back out. Thanks

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello everyone, I have a 2014 Craftsman 7400 Pro Series with the 26HP Kohler motor with a 54" deck. I'm having problems with the service tech from Sears where I bought the mower and extended warranty from and it's good until 2019. The fan shroud cracked at the bolt holes and broke off the engine. The service tech says it's "just for ascetics and doesn't help cool the engine". It's been a couple weeks since he's been out to replace the broken EZ Change system on the mower deck and now after 20 minutes of operating the mower, you can visually see lots of heat radiating off the engine and a hot smell. My question, is the fan shroud (looks like a funnel over the fan) required on the mower, or am I wrong? I've looked the part up on sears, it's about $25. But it says it takes on average 2 hours to replace. The service calls are covered under warranty so it won't cost me anything to call the service tech back out. Thanks

I would take pictures of the mower , CLOSE-UP'S of the ID stickers (so the ENTIRE sticker is readable, CLOSE-UP'S of the engine ( especially of the cracked shroud -stud areas ) MANY pics !! Gather ALL the paper-work you have , sales receipt, warranty contract etc. put it ALL together . I would then find out the name of the STORE Manager (where you bought the machine) the name of the Outdoor Equipment Manager ( the FIRST person to see) and proceed to go to that store .....
(AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT !! ) in a very nice tone of voice, explain to them your situation, the paper-work
shows its yours and that you paid for THEIR product, The extended warranty shows it should be covered,
( as far as I know the engine shroud is NOT a NORMAL-WEAR replaceable item ... such as tires and belts etc.)
IF the person does NOT please you , DO NOT get "HUFFY" with them, simply but calmly collect ALL your paper-work and leave that person to find the STORES MANAGER . Repeat the situation to that person, NICELY !! then if no satisfaction there tell the store manager you would like them to please call corporate HDQTRS. They may refuse
and at this point you may have to go home and call them on your own and again repeat the process. Even if the shroud is made of "plastic" it should last many years. (also , never ran across a shroud that takes 2 hours ( ???)to
R & R ..???) Be sure to keep all your paper-work and (pictures --which you SAVE on a Flash-Drive or SD card .)

Try this, .. and lets see if we can get you a new shroud , in any case the shroud ( for the engine IS necessary as it encapsules the cooling air-flow from the engine fan, to surround the engine to PREVENT OVER-HEATING ,as far as it not being necessary ... why would the engine manufacturer put an item on an engine if it was NOT necessary ..??
it takes time and costs money to do that! Would you go and remove the engine cooling fan(s) shrouds from your personal vehicles ?? I think not !! THEY are there for a REASON !!

CraftsmanOwner

Forum Newbie
Threads
IMG_2479.PNG

According to the store, Sears handles all of their repairs by using 3rd party contractors. So "Bob's Small Engine" 6 towns away might be the ones that show up to repair the mower. But the last couple times I've had repair issues, it's been the same tech who drives up from Wichita Falls, Texas. It's about a 2 hour drive to get to my house from there (welcome to rural Oklahoma). The last time he said there wasn't even suppose to be a shroud and he couldn't find a part number for it. A few minutes digging around on google have me the pet name, location and part number. However, the technician still says it's only for looks and won't replace it. After talking to Sears on the phone yet again, they said another company will be called. We will see. Service is scheduled for this upcoming Thursday 6/29. Sears also refused to order the part for me until the tech can get there to examine the mower to be sure its "needed" and not just for looks... ?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
just to let you know ,when seeking information , it's important you provide information about your machine
7400 is your SERIES of mower we need the MODEL number and a bit more ,..see example..

GET INFO.JPG

this info is USUALLY found on a sticker found under the seat on Craftsman mowers ,ENGINE info
is USUALLY on the engine itself.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
View attachment 32872

According to the store, Sears handles all of their repairs by using 3rd party contractors. So "Bob's Small Engine" 6 towns away might be the ones that show up to repair the mower. But the last couple times I've had repair issues, it's been the same tech who drives up from Wichita Falls, Texas. It's about a 2 hour drive to get to my house from there (welcome to rural Oklahoma). The last time he said there wasn't even suppose to be a shroud and he couldn't find a part number for it. A few minutes digging around on google have me the pet name, location and part number. However, the technician still says it's only for looks and won't replace it. After talking to Sears on the phone yet again, they said another company will be called. We will see. Service is scheduled for this upcoming Thursday 6/29. Sears also refused to order the part for me until the tech can get there to examine the mower to be sure its "needed" and not just for looks... 

Other than safety stickers, if it has any, there are no superfluous, "just for looks" parts on these engines. Every one is there for a reason and the fan shroud is probably the most important one of all on air cooled engines.

Worst case, if Sears won't help you, contact Kohler and see if they'll supply you with a new shroud. May cost a few bucks but better than burning up an engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is just a duct designed to improve the cooling by drawing most of the cooling air in through the slots in the hood .
Without it the engine should run just fine and you will not damage the engine without it on.
OTOH it will run cooler with the duct on as most of the air will be clean and not be preheated by passing over the engine before it gets blown over the fins.
The air filter will be far less prone to clogging up.
The deluxe models have them, the std models don't have them.
You can get a similar effect by simply removing the hood.

CraftsmanOwner

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is just a duct designed to improve the cooling by drawing most of the cooling air in through the slots in the hood .
Without it the engine should run just fine and you will not damage the engine without it on.
OTOH it will run cooler with the duct on as most of the air will be clean and not be preheated by passing over the engine before it gets blown over the fins.
The air filter will be far less prone to clogging up.
The deluxe models have them, the std models don't have them.
You can get a similar effect by simply removing the hood.

So I don't have to worry about it damaging the engine with out the fan shroud on it? I just didn't want to ruin the engine and it only having 123.8hrs on it.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remember Sears is on it way to going out of biz. I would want the engine blower housing replaced if it were me.

And as a last resort (Emphasize LAST resort) contact the BBB & file a complaint against Sears.

I had to do this many years ago on a new craftsman tractor, the transaxle went bad right at 2 yr. warranty ending. It was the manual Dana 6 speed (chinese crap) that they didn't even have parts for. (obsolete).

BBB got onto Sears, & they supplied my with the complete Peerless 6 speed & select brackets that I requested to do the swap over.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Buddy,
It is not the blower housing he is missing it is just a duct to bridge the gap between the blower housing and the hood on a model that has a vented hood.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
So I don't have to worry about it damaging the engine with out the fan shroud on it? I just didn't want to ruin the engine and it only having 123.8hrs on it.

NO, NO, NO, Bert is only implying what you MIGHT hear from them as excuses,... He's making a sarcastic remark towards Sears. RE-READ the post .

DO NOT run the engine WITHOUT the shroud in place for more than a couple of minutes ( for diagnostic or observational )
purposes. The shroud needs to be on the engine to prevent OVER-HEATING condition !!! The shroud should be removed
at least seasonally to clean engine cooling fins and check for leaks . If you must , buy a new shroud and install it, then try to get reimbursed from Sears (keep your receipt,..though it might only be good for butt-wipe) . Yes Sears may go down the tubes , ...BUT someone will take-on their parts and contract obligations .