Fan Shroud/Engine Cover

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
NO, NO, NO, Bert is only implying what you MIGHT hear from them as excuses,... He's making a sarcastic remark towards Sears. RE-READ the post .

DO NOT run the engine WITHOUT the shroud in place for more than a couple of minutes ( for diagnostic or observational )
purposes. The shroud needs to be on the engine to prevent OVER-HEATING condition !!! The shroud should be removed
at least seasonally to clean engine cooling fins and check for leaks . If you must , buy a new shroud and install it, then try to get reimbursed from Sears (keep your receipt,..though it might only be good for butt-wipe) . Yes Sears may go down the tubes , ...BUT someone will take-on their parts and contract obligations .

No Boo,
The part number he quoted is for the ducting that goes from the debris guard on the blower housing to the vent.
Look it up.
Good to have one there long term but in reality the engine will be happy without it.
The OP just used the wrong name.
The mower has a blower housing this is an "Induction Duct"
The better ( top end ) residentials have them, all Kubotas have them, come Cubs used them most Hondas have one.
Sucks air from outside the hood where it is away from the engine heat.
Most end up busted fairly early on because they really need a big foam seal to compensate for twist in the bonnet.
Some bolt them to the bonnet , others bolt them to the engine

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
HOLD-ON AFTER reading Berts post , ... and re-reading ALL the posts , I think all concerned were a bit confused
THIS IS WHY pics are SO HELPFUL !!!

I THOUGHT you were describing the MAIN engine shroud, ... when in actuality ,..you MEANT what most call
a PLENUM ! it sits in top of the engine shroud . The Plenum is usually a separate part ...YES you can run the engine safely with-out the plenum as Bert stated, NOW, I hope we have this straight !
I would still fight to get it, you bought it , paid for it, you deserve it !!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
HOLD-ON AFTER reading Berts post , ... and re-reading ALL the posts , I think all concerned were a bit confused
THIS IS WHY pics are SO HELPFUL !!!

I THOUGHT you were describing the MAIN engine shroud, ... when in actuality ,..you MEANT what most call
a PLENUM ! it sits in top of the engine shroud . The Plenum is usually a separate part ...YES you can run the engine safely with-out the plenum as Bert stated, NOW, I hope we have this straight !
I would still fight to get it, you bought it , paid for it, you deserve it !!

Two countries divided by a common language
Plenum chamber to me is a large chamber connected to the induction side of the carb to reduce induction hiss.
Or a collector where headder pipes join together before they go to the muffler.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Two countries divided by a common language
Plenum chamber to me is a large chamber connected to the induction side of the carb to reduce induction hiss.
Or a collector where headder pipes join together before they go to the muffler.

I was just rushing through Berts post , .. where I read OTOH ..(On The Other Hand )

when I actually THOUGHT... I read UTOH which is a common American term meaning, Ooops, hold-on, wait a minute,
seeing a mistake , and a few other things ... yep schitt happens !!

This is ALL Berts FAULT !! HE should have said ,... (BUT THEN AGAIN !!) ( LOL ) ..:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing: ,... Just kidding Bert !! .... Boo

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
PICTURES REALLY HELP !

just to prove my point , ( just for schitts & giggles )
my 46" Murray engine with PLENUM !!

DSCN1457.jpg...DSCN1462.jpg

see item number 39

( these parts are installed at the MOWER mfg. facility ,..they are NOT considered Engine parts...
as different mowers ( from different manufacturers , BUT, using the same model of engine , have different Engine / Frame / Body configurations .

PLENUM B.JPG...PLENUM A.JPG

Of course not all MFG'S will call a plenum , ..a plenum !!

Last edited:

CraftsmanOwner

Forum Newbie
Threads
I THOUGHT you were describing the MAIN engine shroud, ... when in actuality ,..you MEANT what most call a PLENUM !

Sorry about that Boo. I wasn't sure what the name was, all I knew was it looked very similar to a fan shroud commonly found on radiator fans in automobiles. Yes, it does do what you are saying, pulling air through the vent in the hood so cooler air not inside the hood blows over the engine cooling it better.

My description of the part seems to be the issue of the confusion, and of that I do apologize.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry about that Boo. I wasn't sure what the name was, all I knew was it looked very similar to a fan shroud commonly found on radiator fans in automobiles. Yes, it does do what you are saying, pulling air through the vent in the hood so cooler air not inside the hood blows over the engine cooling it better.

My description of the part seems to be the issue of the confusion, and of that I do apologize.

Not your fault, this is what drives us crazy on these forums , communication is vital, and as we all just experienced,
sometimes a single word can cause a good deal of confusion, I always stress the fact to folks , that whenever they do work on their machine be it a mower , micro-wave or clothes dryer, your camera is your BEST FRIEND !! it can
become your manual, and you can take take all the pics you want and delete what you don't want , my own pic's
have saved me countless hours of research and migraines !! We are fortunate we all wound up on the same page and a common understanding, keep us updated about your machine, I'm sorry for adding to the confusion !! ..Boobala

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Boo it doesn't help either that different manufacturers call the same part different names for their equipment. My favorite has to be Stihl's rope rotor.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Boo it doesn't help either that different manufacturers call the same part different names for their equipment. My favorite has to be Stihl's rope rotor.

I think it's safe in saying , BEFORE posting something , go back and check at least the LAST post or more of a thread.. it has happened though where 2 parties are posting at the same time and the time diifference in the posts confuses the desired content of one or the
other and then the chaos begins !!
Rope Rotor ...?? Sounds good to me, I'll take a dozen !! ..:laughing: