Fan Shroud/Engine Cover

CraftsmanOwner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, the Sears tech came back out today and changed 3 mandrals, 3 EZChange bar blade holders (clamps that allow easy changing of the blades with out tools), and took off the valve cover to apply sealant (silicone) so that it works as a gasket and stops the oil leak. However, he refused to fix/change/replace the Plenum (spelling?) that directs outside air into the engine fan. He said that it was more of an ascetic (for looks) part and wasn't covered under the warranty. Hey, I tried though right? He did take the plastic cover off the top of the engine though to inspect the fan itself and to check for more oil leaks. He didn't find any, however I noticed the engine had lots of gunk, dirt, dust and grass buildup under the cover. So I asked him to leave the cover off and I would power wash it tomorrow at the local car wash. Just wanted to update everyone. I'm ok with the service today, and even though that part wasn't covered because it won't cause harm to the engine, at least my mind is at ease knowing that. It may be because I am not mechincally inclined, but at least I learned something today.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That engine cover needs to come off once a year ( at least ) and the cooling fins cleaned.
Build up of grass will cause it to overheat then the alloy head goes soft and you are in all sorts of problems.
Silicon on the rocker cover will come back to bite you on the bum because that should come off around 200 hr intervals to check the valve lash.
So for now you have a year or two to worry about that but cleaning off the old silicone takes longer than adjusting the valves.
Gaskets are cheap and if you put come HT Axel grease on the engine side so it strips off clean it can be reused many times.

OTOH. silicon on the cracked Phelem won't hurt and some thick sponge to allow some movement while maintaining a sort of seal

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pressure wash at car wash ? Wow !!! I would only use air pressure from compressor or leaf blower, & if needed some 'brake clean' sprayed on the grubbiest areas.
Pressure washer could water down many areas that should never be hit with hi-pressure water, like the electrics etc.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pressure wash at car wash ? Wow !!! I would only use air pressure from compressor or leaf blower, & if needed some 'brake clean' sprayed on the grubbiest areas.
Pressure washer could water down many areas that should never be hit with hi-pressure water, like the electrics etc.

I'm Joining in with "NUMBERS" ( 7394) (everybody NEEDS a name (LOL) ) ... NO POWER WASHING, NADA, VERBOTEN, NO !
power washing forces water into places it should NEVER know !! an occasional washing down with the garden-hose ( on SUNNY DAYS ) to help it dry FAST ! and using an airhose to blow it off will greatly extend the life of your machine . I blow my machine off after EVERY cutting ( I do have a compressor ) or a leaf blower will work too! ESPECIALLY the cutting deck ,all around the pulleys and belts. If possible, NEVER cut when the lawn is covered with dew or with rain ...RUST NEVER SLEEPS ..!!!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boo- I have my name listed under each post "Buddy", but "Numbers" is cooler., :thumbsup:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Boo- I have my name listed under each post "Buddy", but "Numbers" is cooler., :thumbsup:

Well there, Mr. "7394" or "Buddy" or "Numbers" That was stupidity on my part for my not being observant enough
to catch your moniker at the bottom of your post, my Apologies. Once you've been in the military, the name thing
with (at least the Enlisted ) guys becomes like a game, with the unique experience as a very young man to learn
that many vulgar expletives are actually a term of "endearment" . Of course ... if an expletive is put forth in a tone of voice (or made perfectly clear in written form ) that projects a mood of anger that's another story.
That being said , Mr. %$E#@&R$# do YOU have a particular preference as to what members should use in order to
reference you ( LOL ) ...:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boo- (I read others calling you by that handle)..

"Numbers" is cool. You are probably the only one that will call me by it tho.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Boo- (I read others calling you by that handle)..

"Numbers" is cool. You are probably the only one that will call me by it tho.

Done Deal !!