Need help with Deck Engagement Cable

Mike15

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a craftsman riding mower, model number 247.288851, and am having trouble changing the Deck Engagement Cable, part number 946-04173C.

I have the cable connected to the deck, but am having trouble at the lever end. The pics in the owners manual, and everyplace else I've seen, says the cable should snap into a clip, then into the hole on the lever. I removed the battery and the battery supports to get a good look. I see the hole in the lever, but don't see any clip anywhere.

Does anyone have better pics of where this clip is?

I am happy to answer any questions, or post pics if needed.

Thanks for all help.

Mike15

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the links. But this is not my mower model.

My Blade Engagement Lever is on the right side, next to my blade height adjustment lever. See pics.

Thanks

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 10
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 17

Mike15

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks NorthBama. This diagram is in my owners manual, but it doesn't show how to connect the cable.

I think I'm missing the clip for the lever end, but cant find a part number or picture of it. And I have no idea where it would be located.

Thanks everyone for your help. But the problem still exists.

tbuckalew

Forum Newbie
Threads
it's just a little metal hook that slides into the hole on the back of the lever. If it's not an OEM cable, it might be a little tough to get in(mine was really tough). I just changed it out yesterday.

Mike15

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply, but it's the clip I'm looking for. I have attached a pic of the cable, with comments.

I understand the cable slides into the hole on the lever, but where does the cable "clip" into to hold it. If it's not in a clip, it just slides with the lever and no tension is put on it to engage the blades.

Thanks everyonecable 1.jpg

NorthBama

Threads
the craftsman I have has the cable on the dash not the fender. Maybe someone has one like yours. Should be a hole to snap in like on the deck.
try watching this video may help since your craftsman is made by MTD same at this Troy Bilt Bronco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcwiwzfpFXE
picture at 9:35 on video its really too long for just replacing cable
ok I will do some more work and insert picture from vid
cable.jpg

Last edited: