Starter

Regwal

Threads
Yesterday when mowing with 247.288820 rider I experienced a starting problem. My starter will not engage. I can hear the solenoid clicking but nothing at starter. I ran hot wire to starter and nothing happened. After towing to garage the starter was removed to bench where I again supplied 12v, still nothing. The gear that pops up to engage the engine flywheel is free but seems weak. Knowing nothing about starters I plan to open this one up to smell around hoping something jumps out at me. Anyone have a suggestion as to what I should see/look for?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need 12v and ground to test the starter. If nothing happens then it is bad.

Regwal

Threads
You need 12v and ground to test the starter. If nothing happens then it is bad.

IN bad do you mean they aren't repairable? I know it is bad(won't work) but curious to know what I will be looking for inside. What makes the starter gear extend to engage the flywheel? I'm pretty sure that is the problem. If windings are bad that is pretty straight forward and easy to check once open but checking across the starter I'm seeing 0 resistance indicating the windings are good. When checked I had good 12v and good ground.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
very occasionally a starter will short out at the brushes and some times a simple communator clean will have them working well.
The brushes are replaceable as individual brushes or a drop in kit ( all 4 ).
Usually the armature fails due to excessive loads slowing down the rotation so one section is pulling amps for too long and either burns the insulation or melts the solder.
You can renew the brushes with the Bendix gear in place but you can not service the armature without removing the Bendix which is easiest removed with the starter in one piece.

Regwal

Threads
bertsmobile1;266756Usually the armature fails due to excessive loads slowing down the rotation so one section is pulling amps for too long and either burns the insulation or melts the solder. You can renew the brushes with the Bendix gear in place but you can not service the armature without removing the Bendix which is easiest removed with the starter in one piece.[/QUOTE said:
Starter has not run slow, in fact it operates very strong. When I attempted the start , the starter engaged briefly with maybe a jolt then would not operate again. I can do brushes but the armature is another story. Thanks for your input.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And I did omitt to answer the original question,
With the brushes removed take an Ohms reading from each of the opposite contacts on the armature.
They will vary a little bit but if one is better that 10% different from the rest, usually the armature is toast.

Regwal

Threads
Today I opened the starter up. Each brush has a spring but I found another spring (5) and can't see where this one is supposed to fit. The diagram downloaded is really hard to read. Looking for the site again to perhaps zoom for a better look.

Regwal

Threads
My starter problem was rust. The inside was dirty with rust and corrosion. The bottom bearing had seized so after seeing all this I ordered a new one. (Amazed at price differences). Waiting for the new starter to come I decided to completely check the unit and see if I could make it work again. Performed armature, brushes, contacts checks, and any other thing visible. Freed up the bearing with PB Blaster so it would spin freely. Cleaned the inside with electrical cleaner and blew all parts dry, then reassembled without any new parts. When attaching power from the battery I was surprised to see the starter work perfectly. I do not trust my repair so much however because I didn't handle parts very carefully, so when new unit came it was installed. I feel good about this because I have never tried to repair a starter before, never had starter problems on anything owned. While still waiting on part to arrive I replace both belts. The transmission belt was a booger but by detaching rear end and jacking mower up the belt went on quickly. I'll never learn that scoping out a job first saves time. Thanks to replies here and PMs that gave me confidence to tackle this.:thumbsup: