Gravely wont start half the time

Heit

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks

I'll start by checking the switches.
the bearing noise ill check the belt tension pulley first.

I will get back to you and let you know what I find. could be a few days

Do you know of a good web site that has a services manual for the Gravely Model 42 ZT XL.
and a good web sit to purchase parts like pulleys? some of the pulleys you have to replace,

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks

I'll start by checking the switches.
the bearing noise ill check the belt tension pulley first.

I will get back to you and let you know what I find. could be a few days

Do you know of a good web site that has a services manual for the Gravely Model 42 ZT XL.
and a good web sit to purchase parts like pulleys? some of the pulleys you have to replace,

Go here for Manuals, you will need your machines serial # ...

http://gravely.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/868/

There are MANY good parts places on line , some are MUCH better than others ( delivery time -shipping charges)
I do business with the following and have NEVER been disappointed .

1. (sjmparts.com)

2. (partstree.com)

3. (ereplacementparts.com)

4. (jackssmallengineparts.com)

5. (equipatron.com)

Mr. Ed

Threads
Greetings-

I use a commercial Gravely ZT that sounds like it has the same problem. On this machine the alignment of the left steering lever is critical... it has to be in just the right position to complete the starting circuit. I have found that if I wiggle it back and forth, just a little, the switches make contact (or perhaps disconnect, I don't know how this circuit is wired) and the machine starts. As you described, if the steering switch isn't in the right position, there is no click, no sound, nothing. Took a while to figure it out, and the servicing dealership couldn't find the solution. So we just wiggle the steering lever until the starter motor engages. I hope this helps!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Greetings-

I use a commercial Gravely ZT that sounds like it has the same problem. On this machine the alignment of the left steering lever is critical... it has to be in just the right position to complete the starting circuit. I have found that if I wiggle it back and forth, just a little, the switches make contact (or perhaps disconnect, I don't know how this circuit is wired) and the machine starts. As you described, if the steering switch isn't in the right position, there is no click, no sound, nothing. Took a while to figure it out, and the servicing dealership couldn't find the solution. So we just wiggle the steering lever until the starter motor engages. I hope this helps!

The 2 switches that work on the end of the lap bars usually have slots in them or the holes are bigger than the screws that hold them in giving some adjustment.
They are a PIA to get at so when you have had enough have a look.
They are a simple plunger switch and fairly cheap.