Raptor SD 48 Deck Jumping

eaglesjw

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've had a Raptor SD 48 for about a month. When I engage the blades with the throttle about half way up the deck jumps up violently. This didn't happen the first couple times I mowed but now happens every time. Is this normal?

mhavanti

Threads
I've had my SD60 for a bit over three years and it still only has 27 hours on it. I'm gone a lot and someone else mows when I'm gone. However, since the mower was new, it does almost kill the engine when engaging the blades. It shakes hard, makes loud rattling sounds and then calms down as quickly as it started and I then run it wide open both in engine RPM and land speed.

I'd say it is because the decks are floating so loosely the belts grab and almost suck it backward that makes it sound so loud.

Check for loose bolts, motor mount, etc anyway.

retfr8flyr

Threads
I have an SD 48 also and it does the same thing. I try and engage the blades at the lowest edge of the mark on the throttle plate. If I try and engage at higher throttle settings, it really shakes for a few seconds but it always smooths right out.

BoylermanCT

Threads
I think something is wrong. My SD54 engages the blades smoothly. A little shudder and engine slowdown, but nothing close to being violent or killing the engine. I always engage at 2400 rpm. A digital tachometer was a nice addition. Also lets me know if I am at 3600 at full throttle.

If you are under warranty, I would have the dealer check it out.

mhavanti

Threads
Boyler,

I think you're right! Has to be something wrong with that machine. lol

Max