HRX217 height adjuster difficulty

OwlNSR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,

I bought a HRX217K5VKAA last year.

For the past 1-2 weeks, I noticed the right rear wheel height adjuster has become very, very difficult to move to a different slot. (Unlike the other 3 wheels, which more or less operate as I would expect) I have to use almost all of my strength to lift the mower and pull the adjuster stick out of whatever setting it's in.

It only recently started doing this. I had the mower tipped it over on its right side to clean out the bottom deck.

Is it possible that I may have somehow bent that adjuster or somehow upset the wheels position on the axel?

I want to take the wheel off to take a look at the adjuster. Are there any procedures that I need be careful to follow?

OwlNSR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anyone have input here? The rear, right wheel height adjuster is basically impossible to adjust.

TonyPrin

Threads
The height adjustment is a fairly simple mechanism. It's possible to bend the metal so see you at if you can see what's blocking it from moving freely. It's also possible there's a twig or stone in the way.

OwlNSR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I will remove the wheel and maybe the dust cover to take a look.

OwlNSR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update -

I removed the right rear wheel, and then I removed the pinion gear and black cover and inspected the adjuster plate and handle, then reassembled everything.

The good-
Nothing seemed wrong with the adjuster plate / handle. When I reassembled everything, it was much easier to adjust. Weird, but good.

The bad -
I'm the process of removing the pinion gear, I accidentally bent the snap ring. When reassembling, it was more or less a "kiss and pray" type of thing. Sadly, it didn't really snap back on at all.

The ugly-
The rear right wheel no longer is working with the self propel. Only the left side wheel now responds to the self propel. I'm thinking that the snap ring fell loose and is likely getting caught up in the gears. I'm also fearing that the gear key that goes with the pinion gear popped out because the snap ring may not be there to lock everything in place.

I purchased some speciality snap rings and woodruff gear keys of different sizes because I am not sure which size will work.

Hopefully the snap ring size will be either 1/2, 5/8, .669, or 3/4. I bought 2 of each just in case.

I bought woodruff keys of different sizes 1/16x1/2, 3/32x1/2, 1/8x1/2 and 1/8x1/2... just in case the key fell out, I'd have something to replace it with.

RetireeRon

Threads
I had the same problem with my new mower, except that all of mine were very hard to adjust. Like you, I was using an extreme amount of force to adjust the height. I found that after moving them a few times they got easier. Still difficult, but easier than before. No way they should be that hard to move. I could just see an older person struggling with it!

jimwnola

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same issue. I have owned three of these mowers. They have all been extremely difficult, right from the start. I am not a weakling. If there was any justice, Honda would reimburse you for the damage caused by your efforts to troubleshoot its defective design. If anyone has found a safe way to easily adjust the back wheels, I would love to know it.

bogdaN

Threads
No one suggested to lube that thing.It is easy and cost nothing.

dfbrown

Threads
I have the same issue. I have owned three of these mowers. They have all been extremely difficult, right from the start. I am not a weakling. If there was any justice, Honda would reimburse you for the damage caused by your efforts to troubleshoot its defective design. If anyone has found a safe way to easily adjust the back wheels, I would love to know it.
Look in maintenance section of your manual. Every 100 hours take apart and clean ratchets and associated parts clean and grease nlgi#2. Or just get Honda marine grease. Every 150 hours manual says take apart height adjusters from deck. Clean and grease and put back together. Personally I do both every season but you could go every other depending on how often the machine is used. 2 things happen. Rolls/pulls back much easier and thr height adjusters are way way more easier to move. Typically the right rear adjuster gets the tightest. I also know there is a updated part for the height adjusters. Basically it allows more leverage on it to adjust it. Pretty inexpensive. I drain all oil and gasoline from mower. Disconnect spark plug and flip forward so the handlebars are on a table and the underneath of deck faces you. I take apart and clean with mineral spirits and air compressor and rags. Then use Honda marine grease. Put all back together and it’s a huge difference. It’s just part of the maintenance

I can tell you that if it doesn’t get done over time and gets very dusty and dry that the torque of motor and trans can crack the deck in the back where the axle and adjuster goes through the deck. Honda will not cover it under warranty because of maintenance neglect. I hope this helps. Check out some videos online. It’s way worth doing and works so much smoother and easier. Good luck.