Should I smell clutch burning on brand new 56 RC E weed trimmer?

Rob5076

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Should I smell clutch burning on brand new 56 RC E weed trimmer?
I put Stihl synthetic oil in it ,ran about 15 min,let it cool,then ran again and was trimming heavy weeds at full power.
Didn't hear motor slipping but smelt the clutch burning a bit and after I shut it down just a minute from first sniff I could smell burnt clutch if I put my nose close to motor.
Smelling the clutch burning has me a bit concerned,especially when it's still on its first tank.
Sometimes brakes seat in and maybe clutch may smell for a while but if it's not normal what other signs should I look for if the clutch is defective in a brand new trimmer.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
WHATEVER you do , DON'T try fixing it , might void your warranty , take it back to the dealer .

Rob5076

Forum Newbie
Threads
WHATEVER you do , DON'T try fixing it , might void your warranty , take it back to the dealer .

I'll use it some more and if I smell the clutch burning again Ill go visit dealer.
I'm a bit disappointed for I haven't put a half a tank through it yet and it may need work already.
I just hope the clutch is covered by warranty.

Rob5076

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll use it some more and if I smell the clutch burning again Ill go visit dealer.
I'm a bit disappointed for I haven't put a half a tank through it yet and it may need work already.
I just hope the clutch is covered by warranty.

I used it more today and the shaft was moving inside handle.The engine rotates 1/8th turn on shaft.
Does Stihl machines still come with certain tools ? Also does Stihl start every machine before it leaves factory.
Mine had gas residue in tank and so did every machine at dealers.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure about Stihl's warranty policy. But the clutch is a wearable item, usually not covered. But you haven't used it that much, so that may help in your favor.

My String trimmer when new did have smells during 1st use. But has been rock solid ever since. (knock on wood).

Rob5076

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure about Stihl's warranty policy. But the clutch is a wearable item, usually not covered. But you haven't used it that much, so that may help in your favor.

My String trimmer when new did have smells during 1st use. But has been rock solid ever since. (knock on wood).

I used two tankfuls yesterday and only got the smell once.It could be something else wearing in but it's not as strong as yesterday.
Once I got used to swinging in an arc I must say Im impressed how it seems to float over grass as it cuts.
I need to trim up some very heavy weeds under barbwire fence so Id like to try number 4 or 8 blade.

Lawn Addict
Threads
New clutch needs bedded in (as I think was previously mentioned). Worth talking to the Dealer to at least be "on the record" of your concern. See what they say.

My string trimmer can cut a 20" radius, I did reverse the line cutter to reduce that to a more managable 18" cut, I did this for break-in & haven't switched it back.

When you smell clutch is the area in front of motor so hot you can't touch it ?

Rob5076

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've ran three tankfuls,two spools of string.
The burning clutch smell went away and after tightening up all the torque screws everything is solid.
I can't complain on machine.Id say the new clutch was seating in for I hear or don't sense any slippage.
Is reducing the cut radius a feature or is there some DIY modifications done.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like yours is ok, & under warranty.

IIRC, Stihl has a 17" cut radius. Easy to measure, just measure one side of string out to the line cutter from middle of spool & double that measurement.

I don't think going any shorter is at all necessary.

My Shindiawa has 20" cut ability, & the line cutter is bolted on, so simply reversing the line cutter to be 1 inch closer to the spool gave me the 18" cut radius.