CMM 1200 - Charger turns off

NeedMowerHelp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a CMM 1200 mower. It was originally a model 1000 that was upgraded in the 2010 recall for the mower.

After the upgrade, the mower would sometimes not start on the usual start-up (put key in; press start button; pull back on level). I am not sure if this is relevant to my problem.

Finally, a week ago, the mower finally died on me. While mowing, the mower somehow managed to stay on while I let go of the lever (the mower turned off after I removed the key). I continued mowing, and the mower could still be started normally,occasionally staying on while the lever was released.

I then plugged my power back in to the charger. I did not pay attention to the light. A few days ago, I decided to start up the mower again, and it would not fire up after multiple startups. Eventually it started up once, but then I let go of the lever and removed the key. From that point on, it would not start.

I plugged the mower back in, and noticed that the charger light would turn on red, stay on for a few minutes (1-2), then turn off (no lights). Pressing down on the start button and pulling back on the lever would allow for another minute of charging. Removing the mower from the outlet, pressing the start button and holding down the lever will allow the red light to turn on for another 1-2 minutes. Further attempts at charging the battery once "charged" would result in both the red and green light turning on momentarily.

I believe the battery is getting weak, and that there is probably a problem with the power switch. I do not have a voltmeter, so I took it down to a store to get it measured. I was told that the battery (at least, the singular term was used, even though it is two batteries) was at 12.2 volts, with 10 Ah. This should place the two batteries then at 24.4 volts, at 10 Ah. Is the battery too weak to start the mower? I can't tell if it is dead, but I suspect that it is.

Will a battery replacement fix my problem, or should I also go look for a new power switch (I think this is probably the more likely issue)? I cannot find any obvious signs of intense wear on the mowers (I have not opened the power box).

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Lawn Addict
Threads
"I believe the battery is getting weak, and that there is probably a problem with the power switch. I do not have a voltmeter, so I took it down to a store to get it measured. I was told that the battery (at least, the singular term was used, even though it is two batteries) was at 12.2 volts, with 10 Ah. This should place the two
batteries then at 24.4 volts, at 10 Ah.
Is the battery too weak to start the mower? I can't tell if it is dead, but I suspect that it is."

Now that really depends if the 2 batteries are wired in "Series" or Parallel"

They should have been tested separately tho.

NeedMowerHelp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll clarify myself a bit there - The two batteries were connected in series, as it came in the mower. I saw the guy test the +/- terminals on one battery, then saw him test the +/- terminals on the other battery. I was told, in the singular, that the battery was 12.2 volts. I can only conclude from there that the guy meant that both batteries were 12.2 volts, which would imply that the batteries are getting weak, but are not quite dead yet.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Battery Voltage and State of Charge:

12.66v . . . . . . . . . . 100%
12.45v . . . . . . . . . . 75%
12.24v . . . . . . . . . . 50%

12.06v . . . . . . . . . . 25% <------------

11.89v . . . . . . . . . . 0%

(NOTE: these readings are at 80 degrees F. Battery voltage readings will drop with temperature roughly 0.01 volts for every 10 degrees F.)
(At 30 degrees F. a fully charged battery will measure about 12.588 volts, and at zero degrees F it will measure about 12.516 volts.)

That low they may not be re-chargeable, hence your charger switching OFF.

NeedMowerHelp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've just purchased and received a new battery and the same problem occurs. With this brand new battery (which I assume has some charge on it), the mower will not start either.

Update: I decided to upon up the housing for the switch. Moving around the wires, I seem to be able to get intermittent red lights. I think I may have a loose connection or broken wires somewhere.

I hope that is the only problem, and that the switch itself is fine.. Are there any ways I can tell if the switch itself is failing or has failed? The entire casing smells like dead grass.

Last edited:

NeedMowerHelp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced the switch, and the mower worked fine for about half an hour. It hit a thick patch of grass, and then died. I could not start it back up.

I inspected the circuit breaker by placing all three connections to it on the same post, and the mower would still not start.

I have checked the brushes, and they seem to still be making direct contact with the motor. Is the motor itself the only thing left that could be broken?