Husqvarna mower won't turn over

Xtcsx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just had an issue when riding my husqvarna riding mower with the Koehler engine. Was mowing then it started to make a noise like it was going to stall from too much grass (lawn was not overgrown and it was my first pass). It came back to life then it started smoking from the engine and I turned it off immediately. Checked the fluids and it was out of oil with oil being all around the engine block. I put more oil in it and now the engine won't even turn over. I turn the ignition and it just clicks. It was giving out a high pitched whine and nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The high pitch whine is the starter trying to turn over a locked up engine.
Looks like you were a little too late with that oil.
Pull the plug and try to turn over the engine by hand.
Me thinks the engine is siezed.
If this is a Courage single, check the case on the exhaust side for a crack.
If it is cracked , check with Kohler.
here was a recall notice on these engines and according to some in the USA Kohler are replacing these engines .
Check also the 4 bolts that hold down the top plate over the top of the cylinder and to the left side ( looking at it from the front ).
Chances are they will be loose.
I have seen some backed out that far they prevented the flywheel from rotating.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bert, just for a head up, Kohler is cutting back on that Courage engine cracked block issue, and to qualify has to be within a certain serial number on a certain engine model, and is only available to customer that can now produce an original purchase receipt.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Which is fair enough.
Most of the courage cracks I come across are on engines 5 years old and only fitted to Husqvarnas with 42" decks.
Oddly enough the other badge engineered mowers from the AYP factory do not seem to have any problems with cracks .

Xtcsx

Forum Newbie
Threads
The high pitch whine is the starter trying to turn over a locked up engine.
Looks like you were a little too late with that oil.
Pull the plug and try to turn over the engine by hand.
Me thinks the engine is siezed.
If this is a Courage single, check the case on the exhaust side for a crack.
If it is cracked , check with Kohler.
here was a recall notice on these engines and according to some in the USA Kohler are replacing these engines .
Check also the 4 bolts that hold down the top plate over the top of the cylinder and to the left side ( looking at it from the front ).
Chances are they will be loose.
I have seen some backed out that far they prevented the flywheel from rotating.

What would cause the oil to suddenly leak out of the engine then? Im assuming that's what the smoke was? I was under the impression that if a lack of oil was the issue it wouldn't just shoot out of the engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The closing plate at the top of the engine had a problem with some where the front 4 bolts would back off.
This would allow the compression from under the engine to pump the oil out, very quickly much the same as running the engine without the dip stick in.
Without the plate done up tight the crankcase cracks down the side behind the exhaust cam near where the cylinder joins the cases.
Only happens to some engines, quite random.
I have fixed 6 of there so far and finally worked out how to weld then for less than the cost of replacing the engine.
Usually the lack of crankcase compression causes the fuel pump to stop pumping when the engine gets hot and the crack opens up.

Xtcsx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just got the top off trying to get the bolts off and noticed that the oil plug was almost completely out (under the starter a long yellow plastic bolt with a weird cap on it). Not sure what would cause it to shoot out like it did could this be the same crankcase compression issue? This at least gives me hope that the engine isn't seized as I shut it down as soon as the oil started smoking. So does this oil plug just need screwed back in and then this is going to fix the inability for it to turn over? Im hoping this isn't going to be a massive issue... The mower only has 108 hours on it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That sounds like the drain tube.
Kohler fitted an easy drain to a lot of their engines you have a nipple that is screwed tight into the crankcase and a spring loaded valve with bayonet type retainer and a yellow drip cap.
I very strongly suggest to go to the Husqvarna web site, dial in the numbers off the tag underneath the seat and download your owners manual.
The thread is NPT so it is wedge shaped and will make an oil tight seal so you do it finger tight then about 1/2 turn to lock it into position.
And yes if that undoes it will throw oil everywhere.
The burning question is can you turn the engine by hand ?