Briggs 17.5 Opposed Twin Starter Problems

rbthud

Threads
I have a Briggs 17.5 Opossed Twin engine and the mounting holes where the starter mounts to the engine are broke and stripped out. I have re- tapped them but is hasn't helped. I want to know if I can put a recoil starter on it? I have looked on Jacks Small engine parts and found a recoil starter that says it fits up to 17.5 but does not come with a starter cup. Could somebody please advise me on this, this is a good running engine, just can't start the thing!
image.jpeg

rbthud

Threads
I would like to thank everybody for their help and advice. This forum has been great! NOT!
I'm not very mechanically inclined, and I live way out in the country and don't have many resources, if any at all! I'm unemployed due to a disability, so I can't afford to just go out and buy a new one. So please if anybody has any suggestions please help me out here.

Tinkerer200

Threads
I would like to thank everybody for their help and advice. This forum has been great! NOT!
I'm not very mechanically inclined, and I live way out in the country and don't have many resources, if any at all! I'm unemployed due to a disability, so I can't afford to just go out and buy a new one. So please if anybody has any suggestions please help me out here.

With that kind of attitude, I am sure everyone will be eager to help. You may be surprised to know that most of us have more to do than sit and wait for someone to ask for help.Your post shows 3 pm today. While you may be able to put a manual recoil on the engine it will be very, very hard to pull start it which is why it doesn't have one on it. Best bet is to have local shop install thread inserts in the starter holes.

Walt Conner

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

:newhere::anyone:

The site owners put those nice little emojies so people could in a nice friendly way bump their post back up to the top.
This is not "Faeces Book" where your "Faeces Friends have to like your posts within 20 ns or they hate you and you have to go slit your wrists.
None of us keep our phones shoved up our rear ends 24/7 so we can answer every post the instant it appears

And further to Walts post, most B & S engine with pull starts usually have a different crank which is longer on the top so that the starter can be fitted.
If you are as desperate to use the mower as you are to get a reply, some have started their engines by turning the flywheel bolt with a drill or air wrench.
Then some have been very seriously hurt doing the same thing.