Spark Arrestor

lawnboyzz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is it safe to run a lawnmower without a spark arrestor? I just bought a new lawn mower and it states: The machine is equipped with an internal combustion engine and should not be used on or near any unimproved forest -covered brush or grass covered land unless the engine exhaust system is equipped with a spark arrestor meeting applicable state or local laws. Is it unsafe to run the lawn mower without a spark arrestor?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is it safe to run a lawnmower without a spark arrestor? I just bought a new lawn mower and it states: The machine is equipped with an internal combustion engine and should not be used on or near any unimproved forest -covered brush or grass covered land unless the engine exhaust system is equipped with a spark arrestor meeting applicable state or local laws. Is it unsafe to run the lawn mower without a spark arrestor?

Most ... folks WITH GOOD COMMON SENSE , that DON'T live in the country or rural areas will remove them , because they tend to become clogged and cause engine problems. That being said ,if you are operating your machine WITHOUT it and you do cause a fire ... WELLLLLLL .. Definitely NOT in a woodsy or brushy area .. COMMON SENSE !!!

lawnboyzz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Will it catch me on fire? I live in the city but have a large property.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Will it catch me on fire? I live in the city but have a large property.

Normal operation should be no problem ... mowers don't usually shoot out sparks unless theres a back-fire or engine "coughing" due to maintenance problem, you could mount a small fire extinguisher if that gives you comfort
just be careful around dead dry brush and easily combustable areas , be very careful where you re-fuel .. be sure mower is NOT running !! AGAIN .. COMMON SENSE !!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With ride ons most fires start on the deck from friction of the belt on dry grass clippings.
While it is possible to start a fire from the odd glowing spark coming out of the exhaust, it has to land on dead dry loose packed material with a breeze to fan it strong enough to increase the heat bit not strong enough to blow it out.
The second most common fore is idiots spilling fuel all over the place then hitting the starter in place of moving the mower 10' away from the spilled fuel or waiting for 10 minutes while the fuel evaporates.
Then there is steady hand Luke, who can fill a running engine without spilling a drop.
You will know him when you see he, he is the one with no eyebrows.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
the only time you need to worry about the spark arrester is if operating within a national forest, or places like California due to wild fire issues. Fires started by lawnmowers are very rare, and most are started due to leaves contacting the hot muffler, or build up on the deck in combination with a bad bearing that gets hot.

Don't overthink it and just proceed as normal.