Husqvarna LGT 2554 electrical issues - Where to start?

cmw

Threads
  • / Husqvarna LGT 2554 electrical issues - Where to start?
I recently got my Husqvarna LGT 2554 brought back to life with a new to me 26HP engine. I had it start fine about two times and now I have to jump it right at the starter to get it running. This unit had been sitting a couple years so moisture might have gotten to something. I replaced the fuse for good measure and that didn't change a thing.

Here are the symptoms besides the issue with starting. Once started the mowing component of the unit works fine.
1. Electronic PTO engages and disengages fine.
2. Hour meter no longer displays
3. Safety kill switches all work normally on the parking brake and the seat
4. All functions of the ignition switch work besides cranking the engine to start.
5. There is NO click or anything when using the ignition switch. I can take jumper cables from the battery to the starter with the switch in the on position and it fires right up.

I checked all plug in connections on the harness and all looked fine. Do you think this is a loose connection somewhere or something else based on my symptoms?

Keep in mind that I got the 26HP engine from a nearly identical LGT 2654 with a bad transmission but all other good parts so have spare electrical components to swap. Anything you would do first? I plan to junk that unit but will pull all parts that I might need down the road first.

cmw

Threads
Another thing... I can hear the electronic PTO clutch engaging/disengaging if I am on the seat and engage the PTO with the switch on but the engine not running. I can also hear the PTO clicking if I turn the ignition switch on and off. I may swap the ignition switch from the junker parts unit to see if that makes any difference tomorrow but am done messing with this for now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On the solenoid there will be 1 or 2 wires at the bottom.
These are the trigger wires
One will go + 12 V with the ignition i the start position the other will either be always ground or go ground when the ignition switch is in the start position.
Start by checking them
If only 1 wire measure from the wire to a good ground and from the wire to the solenoid body ( ground on a 3 wire unit )
If less than 12 V you have a bad ground contact at the solenoid.
Next jump from the hot side ( battery side ) to the trigger terminal ( not polarity sensitive ) just so long as one side is + & the other is -.
Starter spins = control wire problem
Starter does not spin = solenoid problem
Double check the latter by putting a heavy jumper from the starter motor to the switched ( non battery side ) and testing again just in case the lead itself is the problem.

Get back with what you find

cmw

Threads
Thanks. I will check this all out tomorrow when I get free time. I did make sure the trigger wires were connected. There is a white and a black. I assume black is ground but will trace it out before doing anything. I have plenty of multimeters so will check for voltage under the appropriate conditions. There is one loose connector but I think this is something extra that is present but not used on this model. The connection looks oxidized and shows no signs of being plugged into anything recently. Remember that this mower started a couple times on its own right after the engine swap.

Also, remember that the hour meter is now blank as well. I remember this showing up as well when I first got the mower running again. Maybe the solenoid and this share a common ground??? I will check tomorrow.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is only 1 thing to be worried about when playing with mower wiring.
The kill wire to the coil must never ever be connected to battery voltage or it will fry the chip in the magneto coil and trash the unit which are not cheap.
According to the wiring diagram in the owner & parts manual downloadable for free from here https://www.manualslib.com/download/74384/Husqvarna-Husqvarna-Lgt2554.html
The kill wire is Black & White the + wire is plain white & the ground is plain black.
On some mowers you can jump start the mower with a blown fuse by jumping directly to the starter or solenoid so don't forget to check your main fuse as well.

cmw

Threads
Thanks. I have downloaded that .PDF manual and will take more of a look at this tonight. I did mess with it some this morning and made progress. I took all connections off and re-connected. These include bolt on to the frame (ground) and those on the solenoid as well as all plug in types. I re-connected and now my hour meter works again. I think that the donor battery may actually be part of the issue as well. It was working at first but now seems to be too dead to start the unit. There are clicks though which is an improvement. The battery issue is no surprise considering the battery has a MFG date of about 5 years ago and that it has been sitting for two years.

I might have a couple decent spares, otherwise my local shop sells one year replacement batteries for $35 so have been opting for those as needed.

I had checked the main fuse earlier as well but that wasn't the issue. All the kill switches and the electronic PTO operated normally. I think it was a bad connection in combination with a battery on the fritz.

Thanks again and I will let everyone know what happens once I get time to take care of this.