2006 Husqvarna YTH1848XPT Transaxle

drogers44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I recently bought from a friend a 2006 Husqvarna 18HP, 48" mower. Used it a few times, and noticed that it didn't seem to have much power going up a small hill here. The 2nd or 3rd try it slowed down again and when I got it to my driveway it would no longer go forward or reverse. Another friend (he's a mechanic that works on Tractor/trailer engines) thought it was the transaxle, and took it off the machine and checked the transmission oil. It appeared to have a light amount of metal filings in it (which a Husqvarna sales and service guy said wasn't all that unusual). So we drained it, filled it with 20w50 weight oil and put it back on. The fan turns, but the wheels do not. So I'm feeling stuck. Anyone out there know of a tractor with a Hydro Gear 344-0610 transaxle, used, for sale? I'd rather not buy a $900.00 transaxle for an 11 year old machine unless I exhaust all possibilities. Thanks in advance.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I suggest you change the drive belt first. When thing quit working always try the cheep stuff first. A fast and dirty check is to jack up the back wheels and see if they move off the ground. Then with engine off turn one wheel and see what happens.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The axel will need to be purged after you change the oil.
This is not a complicated process but if you run the trans for too long with air in here you can do a lot of damage which is one reason they went to sealed units in the first place.
jack up the rear end, with the engine running at idle and the bypass valve closed ( in the push position ) work the back & foreward pedal a dozen or so times.
Then do the same with the bypass valve in the run position.
When you have finished see if it drives.
If not repeat the above proceedure.
When you have finished the tranny oil level will be low unless you put exactly the right amount of oil and trannies are the only place where you should use a fully synthetic oil.