2011 Craftsman LT2000 21HP SOOOO SLOOOOOOOWWWW

JonnyBlaze

Threads
I got a Craftman LT2000 247.288851. Runs, looks, and mows like new. The tires still even still have the nubbies on them. But this thing is SOOOO FREAKING SLOWWWWW. Is there some kind of speed restrictor or something I can adjust? This thing does like 1 mph TOPS. Belts are in great shape. Hydrostatic trans. 46" deck. 21hp Briggs Gold Professional Series.

hrdman2luv

Threads
I got a Craftman LT2000 247.288851. Runs, looks, and mows like new. The tires still even still have the nubbies on them. But this thing is SOOOO FREAKING SLOWWWWW. Is there some kind of speed restrictor or something I can adjust? This thing does like 1 mph TOPS. Belts are in great shape. Hydrostatic trans. 46" deck. 21hp Briggs Gold Professional Series.

By not knowing exactly what model you have would make it tough to say. But You can check these things.

If there's a level in the back that you have to pull out, to push it while it's in gear, (automatics), that lever need to be released inward. As it works on a spring.
If you have a loose drive belt.
Some models, Yard Machine, have a lever on the dash board, that uses the brakes in increments.
You're brakes could also be grabbing.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
By not knowing exactly what model you have would make it tough to say. But You can check these things.

If there's a level in the back that you have to pull out, to push it while it's in gear, (automatics), that lever need to be released inward. As it works on a spring.
If you have a loose drive belt.
Some models, Yard Machine, have a lever on the dash board, that uses the brakes in increments.
You're brakes could also be grabbing.
Its a hydrostatic but you have to shift it into forward or reverse.

HughDaHand

Threads
That is a CVT style trans not a hydrostatic. did you check both belts?

BoylermanCT

Threads
Check the linkage where the foot pedal or speed lever (Craftsman offers both style mowers) where it connect to the rod going back to the transmission. If there is slop in the linkage, you could lose speed as a result. You should go about 5 mph.

Regwal

Threads
It is most likely the ground drive belt if your mower has had much use. I remove the battery on mine to get to this belt. It's easy to change, just follow your nose. Not sure if yours will be the same but it will be similar.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is a 700 series MTD mower made for Craftsman.
Go here http://support.mtdproducts.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10584/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDk4NDA1MzU0L3NpZC9vdUFYcSpsbg%3D%3D and scroll down to the ride on manuals and download it.

As previously noted there is a double pulley just under the battery box.
Take both belts off and check that the middle section of the pulley can move up and down.
They occasionally get stuck.
Also unless the belts specifically say MTD replacement, aftermarket belts will not work properly on this mower.
I have had mixed luck with the Stens belts but the Rotary ones seem to work reasonably well, other wise use original MTD belts, they are different to standard section V belts.
The manual explains how to change the belts and check the varidrive pulley.
Also check the very large pulley on top of the gearbox, they do work loose.
Do not do it up with a rattle gun as the shaft is hollow and breaks really easy.
Found that out the hard way.