Kohler engine repair trouble

c5vettster

Threads
No I haven't checked the key yet. I don't think it is timing though because of the way it originally quit on me. I could be wrong but I'm not sure how timing would get out of sync without some sort of catastrophic failure. Again, I could be wrong. Just a novice at this.

You may able to inspect it from the top to see if the slots on the shaft and flywheel are aligned. I suspect that your timing is fine given that change in timing often leads to violent backfire, etc.

Have you checked compression? It should put at least 60-70psi. I suspect that the valve clearance needs adjustment.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
. I suspect that the valve clearance needs adjustment.

Now you are trying to confuse me. Just how do you adjust hydraulic valve lifters? This is the very reason I suggested bleeding off the oil in the lifters. Yes the GM cars they had a adjustment but I never seen it in a Kohler engine. I don't know everything and willing to learn.

c5vettster

Threads
Now you are trying to confuse me. Just how do you adjust hydraulic valve lifters? This is the very reason I suggested bleeding off the oil in the lifters. Yes the GM cars they had a adjustment but I never seen it in a Kohler engine. I don't know everything and willing to learn.

The valve lash is adjustable. The procedure is described in their service manual which can be downloaded from their website

KohlerCV15LifterInstall.jpg

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The valve lash is adjustable. The procedure is described in their service manual which can be downloaded from their website

KohlerCV15LifterInstall.jpg

Very good I just left out the details. Now the OP has something follow. When I was working at a GM car dealer the lifters looked just like the Kohler lifters. I would dare to bet they are interchangeable? I put many camshafts and lifters in them older Chevrolets because they would flatten out the cam lobes. The newer cars now have gone to the roller lifters and better lube and seem to last forever.

c5vettster

Threads
Very good I just left out the details. Now the OP has something follow. When I was working at a GM car dealer the lifters looked just like the Kohler lifters. I would dare to bet they are interchangeable? I put many camshafts and lifters in them older Chevrolets because they would flatten out the cam lobes. The newer cars now have gone to the roller lifters and better lube and seem to last forever.

I would suggest checking the compression first.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
. Noticed that valve lifters are non-adjustable type. However, it looks like the top valve, which I believe is the intake valve, is being depressed some even at its high point in the cycle. I suspect that the exhaust valve is also depressed some. I believe this is why it is not firing. Need help on what to do with this issue and what to do next.
This was the question asked

To get a engine running and I would assume this has been all checked out with the proper tools and skills. Spark, Fuel, Compression, and timing. If not start from the beginning.

kbm123

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would suggest checking the compression first.

Yesterday, I spent some time simply making sure I had fuel flow through my carburator. That all checks out fine. I have compression. It concistantly tests at 96 psi. I was able to get the engine to run at a sub idle speed but the throttle has no effect. I would say that it ran, anemically, at about 1/4 of normal idle speed. Not sure why it does this. Kind of points back to a valve or timing issue. That will be my next stop.

kbm123

Forum Newbie
Threads
You may able to inspect it from the top to see if the slots on the shaft and flywheel are aligned. I suspect that your timing is fine given that change in timing often leads to violent backfire, etc.

Have you checked compression? It should put at least 60-70psi. I suspect that the valve clearance needs adjustment.

I have 96 psi for compression. I also thought the valve clearance might be an issue but my compression doesn't seem to indicate that.

c5vettster

Threads
I have 96 psi for compression. I also thought the valve clearance might be an issue but my compression doesn't seem to indicate that.

That is a very healthy compression indeed. One way to troubleshoot your fuel delivery is by removing the carburetor than try to start the engine on the spray of starter fluid/carb cleaner. If the engine revs up fine, your problem is in the fuel delivery/linkages. If the engine continues to run half-heartily - I would replace the ignition coil since it is an inexpensive item.

Alternatively, look for a used Briggs I/C engine. They are often sold for next to nothing on the CL and are decent to run and easy to work on.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

An exhust valve that does not open will give a really good compression reading, but wont work.
Check the exhaust and the muffler .
Not very common on mowers but small furry things do decide the muffler makes a good home then die in there and block things up.
When your exhaust is blocked up you don't run at full speed either.
have you tried manually working the governor to open the throttle fully ?