Buying Trimmer Help!

Christin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello i am looking to buy a new trimmer this week because i am sick of dealing with box store junk. The models i am looking at are Stihl fs91, Husqvarna 324l, Honda 25cc model, Echo srm225 and shindaiwa t242x. Do you guys have any recommendations?

primerbulb120

Threads
I would recommend the Husqvarna 525L, 525LS or 525LST. Lightweight, amazing anti-vibration system and tons of power. I have the 525L and love it.

I don't buy Echo or Shindaiwa products because the carburetors are not adjustable. You can't fine tune the engine to get the best performance. I was given a 1 year old Echo PE-225 edger by a friend, and I was so disgusted with it that I sold it. Started easy, but it took a whole minute to warm up, and when it did finally warm up it wasn't very powerful.

The Honda and the Husqvarna 324L are good trimmers, but very heavy due to the 4-cycle engine. If you're interested in either one, make sure to test it out before buying. A trimmer that heavy can wear you out fast!

The Stihl FS 91 is a very good trimmer (as are most of Stihl's professional products.) I also considered a Stihl when I was shopping, but I went with the Husqvarna 525 because I wanted the lightest weight commercial trimmer I could buy. Keep in mind though that Stihl only sells parts through their dealers - you can't order them online.

I am a commercial operator. I'm not affiliated with Husqvarna in any way, they have earned my recommendation solely through my experience with their products.

Christin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would recommend the Husqvarna 525L, 525LS or 525LST. Lightweight, amazing anti-vibration system and tons of power. I have the 525L and love it.

I don't buy Echo or Shindaiwa products because the carburetors are not adjustable. You can't fine tune the engine to get the best performance. I was given a 1 year old Echo PE-225 edger by a friend, and I was so disgusted with it that I sold it. Started easy, but it took a whole minute to warm up, and when it did finally warm up it wasn't very powerful.

The Honda and the Husqvarna 324L are good trimmers, but very heavy due to the 4-cycle engine. If you're interested in either one, make sure to test it out before buying. A trimmer that heavy can wear you out fast!

The Stihl FS 91 is a very good trimmer (as are most of Stihl's professional products.) I also considered a Stihl when I was shopping, but I went with the Husqvarna 525 because I wanted the lightest weight commercial trimmer I could buy. Keep in mind though that Stihl only sells parts through their dealers - you can't order them online.

I am a commercial operator. I'm not affiliated with Husqvarna in any way, they have earned my recommendation solely through my experience with their products.

THank you, your opinion means a lot. I went to see both the 525lst and the fs91 the other day. I have to say you were right about the weight. I will likely go back tomorrow and pull the trigger on the 525lst(but will likely hold both again). Being a commercial operator what is your thoughts on bicycle handle vs loop handle?

primerbulb120

Threads
Before you move forward, let's get something straight. There are 3 models of 525 trimmer:

525L: This is the base model. (Base isn't the best term to use, all of these trimmers are high end commercial units.)

525LS: This is the heavy duty model. It has a solid driveshaft, metal engine guard, and it is 0.13 HP more than the 525L. Don't know why, as the engine parts are exactly the same. :confused2:

525LST: This is basically a 525LS with a different gearbox. The gearbox on this model is geared lower, which means that the trimmer head spins slower but has more torque.

You don't need the LST unless you're going to cut brush or remove the operator guard to run longer line. (I don't recommend removing the operator guard, but some people do it anyway.) If you try to run the LST like a regular trimmer, you'll be annoyed with the results. You will end up using a lot more gas and the strings won't cut as clean due to decreased speed.

If you're just doing regular trimming, the 525L should be just fine. For the record, it's the one I bought and I have more than enough power for 99% of the jobs I do.

primerbulb120

Threads
Oh, and about the handle: Bike handles are for brushcutters. For regular trimming, a bike handle will be too big and clumsy.

Like I said in my last post, make sure you get the right machine for the job. A 525LST with bike handle would make a great brushcutter, but it would be way too big and overpowered for regular trimming. 525L with loop handle is what I use on all my yards.

What kind of trimming will you be using this for?

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We run them all day every day and have only Echo. :)

We use primarily the PAS 225 and PAS 266 models.

You will be hard pressed to find anybody that runs one more than we run atleast one per day and at times 3 per day.

Hope that helps.

primerbulb120

Threads
I ran my Husqy 4 times yesterday. No telling how many times I'll use it today.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I ran my Husqy 4 times yesterday. No telling how many times I'll use it today.

:) I meant one machine all day long and at times 3 and at times more machines all day long. We have 5.

primerbulb120

Threads
Got it. :smile:

How old are these Echos? All the older ones were great. Then they got the non-adjustable EPA carbs, and everything went downhill from there. I can't vouch for the newer commercial models, but the newer residential models (SRM-225 is one of these) are underpowered and cheaply built.

Christin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Before you move forward, let's get something straight. There are 3 models of 525 trimmer:

525L: This is the base model. (Base isn't the best term to use, all of these trimmers are high end commercial units.)

525LS: This is the heavy duty model. It has a solid driveshaft, metal engine guard, and it is 0.13 HP more than the 525L. Don't know why, as the engine parts are exactly the same. :confused2:

525LST: This is basically a 525LS with a different gearbox. The gearbox on this model is geared lower, which means that the trimmer head spins slower but has more torque.

You don't need the LST unless you're going to cut brush or remove the operator guard to run longer line. (I don't recommend removing the operator guard, but some people do it anyway.) If you try to run the LST like a regular trimmer, you'll be annoyed with the results. You will end up using a lot more gas and the strings won't cut as clean due to decreased speed.

If you're just doing regular trimming, the 525L should be just fine. For the record, it's the one I bought and I have more than enough power for 99% of the jobs I do.

Oops i bought the LST but i'm ok with the extra fuel usage and the slower speed tried it today and still seems to spin plenty fast. In the future i may very well be using it for brush and can't really afford to buy a second unit so this will be my do everything machine. Thanks again!