Honda HRR vs. HRX models (2017)

allhifi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Everyone: I'm a new member here. And I speak frankly.

We just purchased a Honda HRR-216(9) VKC (Canada) rear-drive (self-propelled) lawnmower.

Earlier today the first cut went wonderful: the "drive" mechanism remarkably powerful. It will lead you --quite easily ! lol

The brilliant 'drive' control is ergonomically very well designed, as is the ability for the user to rotate it to ensure smooth forward motion --it's a rear-drive model. NEVER, EVER consider a Front-Drive --such a ridiculous concept/design-choice for a lawnmower is difficult to comprehend.

In any case, the ease of grass-cutting was simply a delight: the thing pulls you, you control the speed and simply steer ! Reversing is commendably smooth (easy to do), and with a weight of 82-lbs, easy to maneuver, steer and operate.

However, before purchasing I did what many (hopefully) do and searched what I could on lawnmowers. Specifically, after zooming in on Honda's, I searched local dealers and found a small, family-run to visit. A wonderful experience, speaking with the 23-year veteran owner who also does small equipment repairs.

Both the HR"X" and the model I inquired (HRR-216(9)-VKC were available for comparison.

A self-proclaimed (Internet) expert website said the few extra "features" of the HR(X) model are really not that necessary, and suggested the HRR model would suit many fine.

Perhaps. But nothing was said about the chassis or any mechanical distinctions that distinguished the "X" from the HRR's. Starting with the HRR, we tipped it to the side ( tilt from the filter side --so that filter is "in the air").
To my surprise (and disappointment), the drive mechanism was totally exposed ! I could see the belt beneath the blades and other mechanical components.I said, I've looked at several other makes and noted that many if not all has some type of protective cover over these parts. "Never had a problem with breaking/snapping belts, or debri causing issues with functioning", Andy (proprietor) said to me. Twenty-three years in the business and almost as long with Honda. According to Andy, the HRR-2169-VKC's basic architecture remained unchanged for the past 15/16 years !

Hmm, I thought, must be some credibility there then. Personally, I simply cannot see how this open concept design can be so maintenance/repair free since it's quite easy to foresee debris being inadvertently sucked up into the blades and being thrown every which way inside the dome.

Examining the HR(X)'s underside was clearly different and most impressive: the heavy-duty drive mechanism (looking like a massive bearing, that it likely is come to think of it), higher quality parts, springs and not unexpectedly, no visible drive belt. Continuing to scan the underbelly revealed other vastly improved structures.

Let me be clear: the HR(X) models are built to a much higher standard. From the composite "shell", the mechanicals beneath the blades, the transmission/gearbox, the cables, springs, tensioners, wheels (all-bearing) and general "solidity" represents a massive leap in quality, and should be considered a semi-commercial model.Quite simply, the HR(X) models could easily be valued at twice the price of the HRR's considering its far superior construction.

There was (as of June 17, 2017) a factory/manufacturer sale that made the least expensive HR"X" model an easy-to-digest $240. (Canadian dollar) more than the one I chose --HRR-216(9) VKC.

As much as I reveled in the clearly superior build, it simply was tool large compared to that of the HRR. Interestingly, placed side-by-side, there couldn't be more than two to four (2-4) inches in greater length --and perhaps 1-2" width.
However, the incredibly longer push bar/handle made it seem you were steering a small car. A most bizarre sensation !

In the end, the increased size, but most notably increased weight made the selection rather easy --the lighter, lithe, easy-to-maneuver HRR proved most sensible.

No regrets. Yet, a single (and first) 15-minute "cut", although impressively finished, hardly represents a valid user experience over the season.

Starting was easy. The engine sounded (and performed) commendably.
(Gas-powered mowers MUST offer a "Hat" (engine-cover) to reduce noise-levels whenever possible. It's NOT rocket science to engineer one for both sound absorption and the requisite air-flow (and cooling) needs).

That Honda does not take "hearing loss" seriously is a major disappointment. And likely not the only manufacture.
( I for one should call upon Saving Hearing advocates and attempt to have manufacturers reduce the typical 90-100-db sound levels commonly experienced by gas mowers. It is, the right thing to do.)

Other than that, all-in-all an enjoyable first impression.

peter jasz