12.5 HP 4 cycle Twin # 404707-0117-01 .... Governor Issue?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / 12.5 HP 4 cycle Twin # 404707-0117-01 .... Governor Issue?
OK. One piece throttle cable it is. However... is it possible the owner may have simply bent a linkage in the front of that engine a little too far... or the wrong one... and all he has to do is straighten it a bit? He went in there with a longnose pliers, did some twisting, used a screw driver next, then looked at me a few times and asked "How's that?". I finally answered based on what I THOUGHT sounded like my old machine. Made me very uncomfortable to have a mechanic ask ME what the specs should be on a machine I brought to him to fix.

Anyway... that guy and I are gonna' have a brief chat this morning. I appreciate the help.

Any idea how many time I have set a machine to the specificed seting , taken it back and been told "it's wrong"
It never used to throw the grass that far before, or it used to throw the grass further etc etc etc.
gave up trying to explain that the mower had been slowly going out of tune for the last 10 years.
The customer liked or wanted it back the way it was, they are paying the freight so unless "like the way it was" is actually dangerious , "like the way it was " is it.
There is 5/8 of SFA difference to the way a mower works running at 3,600 rpm to 3,200 rpm
But 3200 will sound a lot quieter which makes the customer think the engine is running better.

as for yout fire.
A very very very common occurence when people neglect to clean the clippings from around the pulleys on the deck.
On a lot of decks the pulleys can run on the chassis which throws a few sparks or the friction of the belt running against the clippings gets high enough to start a fire.
Remember the trick of starting a fire by rubbing two sticks together surrounded by some shredded bark or grass.
Well that happens under your mower particualrly if you are cutting long dry grass very high.
Whites were notorious for doing it down here as there was a cut away in the chassis to give clearence to the clutch pulley and when the belt was old the pulley rubbed on the chassis throwing sparks into the fresh cut grass