kohler courage 19hp, was mowing lawn, engine cut out and now wont start?

mah

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / kohler courage 19hp, was mowing lawn, engine cut out and now wont start?
I have a kohler courage 19hp, yesterday, I was mowing the lawn, engine cut out and would not start? So I pushed into the garage. Oh, plenty of fuel. Today, I took out the battery to make sure it was a good charge--it was. Put the battery back in and suddenly started. So I started mowing the lawn, after about 10 minutes, the mower just stopped, and it will not start again. I had to push it into the garage again. Any suggestions.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From the details you have provided the Kohler Crusaider engine has become posessed by deamons.
You will have to push it into the middle of the yard and at midnight on the eve of the solstus dance naked around the mower while sacrificing your youngest daughter to the mower gods.

or it might be a simple problem that is easy fixed but from the descriptions you have given only a gypsy soothsayer would know.

Engine model number, mower model number and description of what happens as it you were talking to a deaf dumb & blind person who has never seen a lawn mower in his life and we might be able to help.

Fred_T

Threads
I had a similar problem with my 13hp Kohler Command Pro.
First I replaced the fuel and Air filters. Helped for about one mowing then the problem returned.
The problem for me was the ignition coil failed. Replaced it last year and its been fine since
Good luck

Gcorron

Threads
When something like this 'all of a sudden' happens, you have to go back to basics, fuel, air, spark (I'm a diesel guy, I HATE spark!).

You know it has fuel, you do need to know if it's getting it to the carb (I'm a diesel guy, I HATE carb!).

There's little way to shut down your air, and no precedent likely.

Now to the likely culprit, spark. The ignition system causes your spark system to ground out which is how you stop it when you're done. likely OK, but worth a quick peak and 'wiggle' of the key to make sure it's not wiggling itself to the off position.

Much more likely to be a safety of some sort, and there are several on mowers. Seat safety - if it thinks you left the mower, it will shut down, generally in series with a safety attached to the way you turn the mower on to MOW. You can have safeties on your brake. There are myriad possibilities depending on your particular mower, best to start with a wiring diagram and check them all.

I had a seat safety once that appeared very slightly rusted when you looked at it that acted just that way, it would work for awhile, shut the system down, reset itself and all was fine, drive you nuts. You can short them all out, one at a time, to find the culprit, but you have to find them first, often in finding them you can see one that it just slightly off, and you may have just identified your offender.

Or, make sure your feet are tough enough for the dance, and prepare your youngest daughter!!! :laughing:

George