Missing model number

Toolman2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased a Murray 13 hp 38 inch cut. The sticker under the seat has been power-washed away. I'd like to get an owners manual but without the part number I can't.

Can anyone tell me the part number for this riding mower? If it should matter it has the Tecumseh engine and headlights.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have several Murray Mowers and a good amount of Murray literature , I am NOT familiar with the Tecumseh powered models ,
although thats just the engine part of the machine. the best thing I can tell you is to locate ALL the numbers located on your
ENGINE, the engine numbers USUALLY provide a date of manufacture, and from that ... you can be in the "ball-park" so to speak,
then through pics of your machine we might get within a year or two. I don't understand what you mean by Tecumseh headlights,
Murray had different models (looks / color) in the same year of manufacture (size of engine/accessories) so best you can do is find those numbers and post them along with several pics of your mower ( front,back, sides, dash, engine area etc.

DSCN2498.jpg click to enlarge

Toolman2

Forum Newbie
Threads
IMG_1844.jpgIMG_1845.jpgIMG_1846.jpgIMG_1847.jpgThis mower has a 13 hp Tecumseh engine, it has headlights, and it's 38" cut. I believe that those three details will belong to only one more model.

Pictures coming.

Couldn't figure out how to reorient uploaded photos.

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
View attachment 32717View attachment 32718View attachment 32719View attachment 32720This mower has a 13 hp Tecumseh engine, it has headlights, and it's 38" cut. I believe that those three details will belong to only one more model.

Pictures coming.

YOUR pics re-orientated :

IMG_1847.jpg..IMG_1844.jpg..
IMG_1845.jpg..IMG_1846.jpg

I tried to decipher your engine numbers into year of MFG. I THINK its a 2007 model engine ( NOT SURE )
I then searched through Some of my files to match up your model of mower, you can see in MY pics my red Murray is the same as yours for all intents and purposes. Nice thing about Murray's is many ,many parts are interchangeable between models AND years . I can send you a copy of a manual for my mower but you can use it to order parts for yours .

Heres some places that have your engine parts :
https://www.partstree.com/parts/tec...eh-4-cycle-vertical-engine/engine-parts-list-

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...cal/ohv130/ohv130-206809a/engine-parts-list-1

You did look under the seat for the mowers Information ID sticker ..?? RIGHT ..?? all the other decals look great , what happened ??

JUST now found this : you can order your mower parts from this manuals model number it has the 38 In. deck
so you should be set , ...Boobala
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/mu...t-lawn-tractor-parts-c-17887_17888_29717.html

Last edited:

Toolman2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorting-out an electrical problem I learned it has a six-prong 4-position ignition switch which is apparently associated only with mowers made into 2004 in earlier. The sixth wire is green and is the ground for the headlights.

Thanks for the offer of the manual. I may take you up on that later.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorting-out an electrical problem I learned it has a six-prong 4-position ignition switch which is apparently associated only with mowers made into 2004 in earlier. The sixth wire is green and is the ground for the headlights.

Thanks for the offer of the manual. I may take you up on that later.

See if this diagram helps , its from a different model, but like I said Murrays have a LOT of interchangeability

ELECT.JPG ..Enlarge as necessary

Actually after further research I believe your mower is a 1997 model

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
The PREVIOUS diagram I posted is from a 2002 ( 42In. cut) Model , ....Here is another from a 1997 (38In. cut) I did
NOT bother to go through both diagrams other than to notice a few differences in wire color..

1997 DIAGRAM.JPG

there are MANY 1997 38 In. cut models , unfortunately back in the day Murray did NOT show in the parts diagrams
or wiring diagrams which engine was used on a particular model . Also I'm pretty sure Tecumseh is out of business
so I don't bother with those engines any longer, due to the fact parts are getting hard to find and more expensive.
If you care to bother , click on this link and see the various models of Murrays , THEN you might understand why
model numbers are important to find information of a particular machine ,once again Murrays have LOTS of parts
and things that are interchangeable ...NOT SO , with most other makes !

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/murray-lawn-tractor-parts-c-17887_17888.html

Toolman2

Forum Newbie
Threads
If your guess as of 1997 is correct, I determine there are about 20 38" cut tractors. The model number doesn't incorporate the engine horsepower and no one I can find includes that tidbit in their literature. So, without that I'm not going to be able to guess exactly which one of the 20 it is. As you pointed out there are great many similarities between mowers so I'm going to count on any one of those 20 to show me the correct construction and wiring diagrams. The only clue there will be that headlights will be a part of the electrical diagram.

Thanks for your interest. If you should run on to any other useful clues please let me know.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
View attachment 32717View attachment 32718View attachment 32719View attachment 32720This mower has a 13 hp Tecumseh engine, it has headlights, and it's 38" cut. I believe that those three details will belong to only one more model.

Pictures coming.

Murry , like MTD, AYP and a host of long gone others made tractors for a lot of different companies as well as marketing under their own name.
In the Murray paint codes, there are 22 different companies & store brands.
Like MTD if Murray was making a line for one company that was a good seller they would slightly modify it and sell under their own name.
Tecumseh was the cheapest engine so it would not be strange to see the exact same mower in a mower shop fitted with a Kohler, in a mower chain franchise fitted with a Briggs and at Lowes fitted with a Tecumseh.
We certainly saw that down here, the same mower painted 4 different colours with 4 different engines being sold under 4 different brand names.
My Murray riding tractor parts book is 600 pages thick.
They made a lot of different mowers before they went belly up

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
If your guess as of 1997 is correct, I determine there are about 20 38" cut tractors. The model number doesn't incorporate the engine horsepower and no one I can find includes that tidbit in their literature. So, without that I'm not going to be able to guess exactly which one of the 20 it is. As you pointed out there are great many similarities between mowers so I'm going to count on any one of those 20 to show me the correct construction and wiring diagrams. The only clue there will be that headlights will be a part of the electrical diagram.

Thanks for your interest. If you should run on to any other useful clues please let me know.

FYI ... Every Murray front engine rider I have ever seen , had headlights ! .... Did you not see the picture of my 3 mowers ??