gas leak old lawn boy

wincbuck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lawn boy model 7268A
I have gas leaking from air cleaner when engine is not running. I have had carb apart and cleaned and everything looks ok. It seems like float not raising needle valve up far enough to stop fuel flow. Cork float seems ok as does needle valve and seat. A real head scratcher for sure. Help please

2smoked

Threads
Lawn boy model 7268A
I have gas leaking from air cleaner when engine is not running. I have had carb apart and cleaned and everything looks ok. It seems like float not raising needle valve up far enough to stop fuel flow. Cork float seems ok as does needle valve and seat. A real head scratcher for sure. Help please

I have two models that are similar to yours. You may be able to solve your problem by replacing the needle and seat, but experience has taught me that turning off the fuel valve when you are done using the mower, is the best solution. I believe that this is a good practice with any small engine that has a gravity fed fuel system.

Also, when I am done using any of my Lawn Boys, I turn off the fuel and let the the engine run the rest of the remaining fuel in the carb, until it quits.

Last edited:

Kumba

Threads
How long does it sit for the leak to occur? hour? days? a week?

wincbuck

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have two models that are similar to yours. You may be able to solve your problem by replacing the needle and seat, but experience has taught me that turning off the fuel valve when you are done using the mower, is the best solution. I believe that this is a good practice with any small engine that has a gravity fed fuel system.

Also, when I am done using any of my Lawn Boys, I turn off the fuel and let the the engine run the rest of the remaining fuel in the carb, until it quits.

That's a good idea to shut off flow and run till carb dry
thanks

Phototone

Threads
Well, if gas runs out where the air filter is on the carb, then the float, needle and seat are not doing their job. You can test the float by seeing how well it "floats" in a bowl of gasolene. You should just as a matter of general practice ALWAYS replace the needle and seat (as a pair) whenever you refurb a carb. These parts are cheap and available. For needle and seat sets check an online source such as Tulsa Engine Warehouse. Almost all the Lawnboys you may encounter in life will use the same needle and seat, (Except the metal carb and the modular carb models) Be sure to set float height per Lawnboy specs after you replace the needle and seat.

Kumba

Threads
I'd just replace the needle, seat, and float. It'll probably put you back $20. Then it won't be a question of if it's good or not.

wincbuck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, if gas runs out where the air filter is on the carb, then the float, needle and seat are not doing their job. You can test the float by seeing how well it "floats" in a bowl of gasolene. You should just as a matter of general practice ALWAYS replace the needle and seat (as a pair) whenever you refurb a carb. These parts are cheap and available. For needle and seat sets check an online source such as Tulsa Engine Warehouse. Almost all the Lawnboys you may encounter in life will use the same needle and seat, (Except the metal carb and the modular carb models) Be sure to set float height per Lawnboy specs after you replace the needle and seat.

thanks for advice

wincbuck

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'd just replace the needle, seat, and float. It'll probably put you back $20. Then it won't be a question of if it's good or not.
Sounds like a plan. Thanks for help.