reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
So start dumping all your old oil into your lawn it will grow better :thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Me thinks I did say SMALL AMOUNTS in the very first response.
It is a concentration thing a lot will take a long time to get broken down.
OTOH is is really good for pouring around fence posts to deter termites.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

Yes in small amounts, makes big sense to me. :smile: Personally I like the heat it makes to heat my son-in laws shop in the winter time better.

mhavanti

Threads
Reynold,

Think the main point Bert is making is that our once great manufacturing nation made the best products in the world before we basically turned it over to Japan to help out the enemy of our country. Yes, Japan attacked our country and as usual, we bend over backwards to rebuild the enemies that are trying to kill us.

We will never be the manufacturing giants we once were due to our taxation system for manufacturing and other businesses. In 1978, Brazil gave all their businesses 100% right off on all their equipment the moment they purchase them whether the equipment is put into production or simply sitting in a warehouse. In the USA, it requires 5 years minimum to recover the costs of equipment and machinery to compete with the countries we support with the taxes we have to put out while other countries sit and laugh at us.

One of the biggest problems we "own" in this country is the widespread union labor grid. Unions were created to force factories to provide safe working conditions, however, that very rapidly morphed into increasing pay to the point of putting most manufacturers into the business of over pricing their products. When the tail wags the dog, the dog will never get anywhere. Consider the manufacturers the dog and we no longer get anywhere. Then you throw in one of our idiots that can't see the forest for the trees, former President William Clinton and his NAFTA and guess what. Now you're competing even more so with lower salaries, better factories because the factories can purchase new machines yearly and we're still utilizing machines that are 30 years old and causing maintenance problems more than the machines are producing.

Am I close Bert?

Make America Great Again and stop buying foreign crap. Support your neighbors.

Sorry for the soap box history lesson.

Max

Lawn Addict
Threads
More of a feel good gesture than a genuine ecological one, unless you buy and use recycled oil.

As previously mentioned, if you really want to save the planet, only buy good quality locally made goods and stay out of Walmart.

Bert- Bad Day ?

You do with your used oil what you will down under there, I will continue doing what I feel is best for my used oil, but it won't be dumped on the grounds of my property here, I can assure you of this.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not really Max.
It is an idology problem.
For some strange reason we seem to believe that we should be able to have whatever we want .
And because we want it it must get cheaper every year ( greed really ).
Where as because it is US that is working we should be paid more every year for dong exactly the same amount of the the same work every year.
The two of them are mutually exclusive.
We had a refferendum back in the 80's down here where the tow questions were
1) should prices be regulated
2) should wages be regulated

No 1 got carried around 95% yes vote
No 2 got rejected by around a 90% no vote.
What is did was prove that 90% of Australians have no idea about business & commerce.

Then there is the idea that what ever we need some one else should provide, good schools, good roads, rule of law, safe suburbs etc etc.
We all want them but the idea that it is our taxes need to be increased to pay for them is rejected by most.
Now I am not saying that any level of government efficiently spends our money but ultimately they can only spend the money that we pay or borrow money and we end up paying more.

However on this particular thread I was saying that spending the worlds limited resources to make a product that is inferiour and has a very short operating life is by far the greatest cause of enviromential damage.
What we pay a small amount for we do not value so when the $ 100 mower stops working we toss it out & buy another $ 100 mower because it is cheap & that makes us think we are buying a bargan
Then 2 years latter you toss it out again & buy another one where as if you bought the $ 500 well made mower that will run for 20 years you would be better off financially and the planet would be better off because the enviromental cost of manking the junk mower is almost the same as making the quality mower.
A perfect example is one of my own sisters who is on a pension so she bought a $ 10 toaster with a 5 star energy rating.
It got the rating because it uses very little energy per minute, 600Watts.
It also does not toast any bread unless it is a very thick ( 1") slice because the low power element dries the bread out before it burns it.
It failed within the first year 4 times & 3 times she got it replaced the last time it was too late so she went to a different shop and bought a "better $ 12 toaster" with the same results.
I got fed up with her moaning and bought her a $ 120 toaster for her birthday.
She complained bitterly because it was 1800 Watts ( 2 star rating ) and she would not be able to afford the power bill on her pension.
She is still using it and despite having gone through the math with her dozens of times she still can not understand that the 1800 Watt for 2 minutes a slice used less electricity than the 600 Watt at 10 minutes a burned piece of bread .
While there was a massive difference in the purchase price, the price to the enviroment of them is almost identical except one has lasted 50 times longer so 12 year down the track it is 2% the enviromental price of the cheap toaster and half the enviromental price in electricity used should the cheapie have lasted 12 years.

The problem is not unions demanding higher wages.
If workers do not make money they can not spend money. If they do not spend money the factory does not sell product . If the factory does not sell product the factory owner does not make money.
It is a great big circle.
I was once a metallurgist in the days when we had a controlled economy.
Every conference I went to the factory owners whinged & bitched about how the excessive wages were making them uncompetitative and driving productivity down.
On the odd occasion that I suggested the root cause might be second hand manufacturing machines much of which was imported from the UK or USA during WWII that required 4 operators to do the same job as 1 Japanese operator I got howled down.
many of these plants were built prior to electrification so originally had steam engines running overhead pulleys with flat belt drives to each machine in the days when machines were expensive and not replaceable and labour was dirt cheap.
Most had been extensively "modernised", by replacing the steam engine with a 200 Hp electric motor and replacing the flat belts with V belts and clutches.
many of the plants I worked in the only difference in the factory between the 1892 photo on the wall and the factory in 1992 was the colour of the paint and electric light replacing the gas lamps.
The trick is not how much you pay a worker , it is how much value adding ( productivity if you like ) you get from that worker.

As for Unions in general, originally a good idea but being undemocratic and ultimately unresponsible for their actions quickly became a hot bed for idealistic socalists.
They need to be regulated , with secret votes and properly audited accounts.
However if you want to see how they should be done, have a close look at Germany where the workers elect 1/2 the shop committee and that committee appoint the CEO and elect the board of directors.
Workers and management working together for the benefit of all which is how it should be .
The CEO of BMW earns 50 times the wages of an assembler on the floor and BMW has never been broke or shafted their suppliers by pulling a Chapter 11 and not paying them.
Where as the Ford CEO is paid 2000 times what the floor workers earn and Ford have been bankrupt 3 times .
Adjusted on an average male workers wage basis in each country, the floor workers at BMW earn 3 times what the floor workers earn at Ford and funny enough if you see photos of the BMW car park nearly all of the vehicles are BMW where as at the Ford plant, most of the workers can not afford to drive a Ford, it they can actually afford to own a vehicle at all.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Reynold,

Make America Great Again and stop buying foreign crap. Support your neighbors.

Max

Speak for yourself. Been retired for 15 years and living very conformable. YES AMERICA IS STILL GREAT:wink: Forum rules no politics.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
There have to be zerk fittings.

You would think so. I am finding with the newer material's, better seals, improved lubes, and the way things are made the zerk fitting will some day be a thing of the pass. When was the last time your car needed greasing of anything. I am also finding without that grease being added things last longer.