Identify this 190cc Briggs?

Riggs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking for a little help identifying an engine.
I bought a mower used on Craigslist, and naturally it ran for 3-4 minutes or so before it started spewing white smoke.
I removed the air filter and found it soaking in oil.
This obviously was a concern for me and I'm a techie by trade--not a mechanic. I decided to strip the engine since i figured rebuilding a small engine couldn't be that expensive (maybe I'm wrong lol). That's when I also found that the cylinder had a big pool of oil as well.
Anyway, after everything was disassembled I realized that there was very little at all in the way of markings to identify this engine so that I can buy replacement parts.

If I post pictures I'm hoping that someone can help me figure out what engine model I should be looking up parts for.
Secondarily, does it look like I should even bother replacing the rings and gaskets? Or is the cylinder scored too much?

http://imgur.com/a/10FjR

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The model number should be stamped into the medal flap that hangs over the top of the muffler on the starter housing.

Riggs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is that my only option you think?
I have checked every inch of every individual part that's been disassembled from the engine, and have posted pictures of the only numbers anywhere on any parts in the link on my first post. The only one that I omitted was on the flywheel I think which would not have helped. The starter housing doesn't have any numbers at all stamped on it.

Am I boned here or maybe B&G would be helpful?
This all said, I don't know what too much wear or scoring looks like in the cylinder. Does it look to you like a rebuild would even be worth it? The scoring on one side of the cylinder does have a very slight texture to it.

Thanks,

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The starter/blower housing is were the model number information would be located. Over the muffler, or possibly on the area above the spark plug. Unless the housing has been replaced and the numbers were never transferred. From the one picture it looks like the cylinder has some deep scratches, with some possible galling. if that is what I am seeing, you are basically done with that engine and rebuild will cost more than a replacement engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
double ditto motor is toast.

Most of the regular agony aunts on this forum are full time mechanics.
When I come up from the workshop, for a cup of tea, to do an invoice or look up parts ,if the internet is working I slip on here to see what is new.
People who make life easy for me get replies.
People who force me to go to an image hosting site because they are too lazy to imbed them with their post get skipped over.
Same with ewe tube links.
Briggs web site shows you exactly where engine numbers are , or should be and without them we can do no more than give vague general replies of the type you get in all the "How to fix ABCDEF engines" all over the place that do not contain a single piece of useful information.

Riggs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply.
I definitely checked out the b&g website and can confirm that there is no stamped identity anywhere on this engine.
Coming to forums was a last ditch effort for me since I have an ever growing list of crap to do since buying my home last week, so I had just hoped that maybe this was something very common as I did expect many of you to be experts.
Currently my only "computer" is my mobile phone as most of my stuff is still in boxes and my desk is disassembled. That combined with being new on the forum led me to making a very inconvenient hyperlink to the photos...
That said I appreciate the opinion. Ill just cut the losses on the busted new-to-me engine and source a replacement.
Of course this poses it's own challenge as I still do not know what the engine model of the damned thing is lol.
Stay tuned

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the reply.
I definitely checked out the b&g website and can confirm that there is no stamped identity anywhere on this engine.
Coming to forums was a last ditch effort for me since I have an ever growing list of crap to do since buying my home last week, so I had just hoped that maybe this was something very common as I did expect many of you to be experts.
Currently my only "computer" is my mobile phone as most of my stuff is still in boxes and my desk is disassembled. That combined with being new on the forum led me to making a very inconvenient hyperlink to the photos...
That said I appreciate the opinion. Ill just cut the losses on the busted new-to-me engine and source a replacement.
Of course this poses it's own challenge as I still do not know what the engine model of the damned thing is lol.
Stay tuned

I fell like the Pope bestowing absolution.
Did not know it was ported for smart phones in which case you probably can not embed photos directly from your phone like you can from a computer.
From memory B & S never changed the mounting bolt position on there walk behind mower engines from the day they made the first one.
Not worth the effort of fixing unless the mower has sentimental attachments.
The metal shroud under the plastic is common to almost every mower engine they made so some one may have swapped it out for another to fix a duff starter.
The China made B &S engines have their numbers electro etched to the right of the carb & on an adheasive tag which falls off the first time they get washed.
Being it was on a Toro slight chance it had a Chinese Briggs engine on it.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
You have a model 12 engine probably a 675 series due to the ready start system.
The pic with lawnmower chassis has the engine parts in the background.
Now the blower housing with the recoil will have the details on it on the horizontal piece on metal on the dipstick side if it was fitted to the engine.

I would repair and iv seen worse and got them up and running.
Use some wet&dry and smooth off and rebuild.