Mower starter not engaging with flywheel.

Everclear

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older Craftsman mower with a 15 hp B & S engine. It starts fine most of the time, but occasionally the starter motor spins, but does not engage with the fly wheel. If I manually rotate the top of the engine a half turn or so, it usually engages on the next try. Before I start taking it apart, can anyone tell me what is causing this, and what I need to do to fix it? Thanks.

johnthall1975

Forum Newbie
Threads
It could be a few things.without having to take it apart u can spray a little pb blast or wd40 on the top of the starter where the starter gear is,that may help. The starter gear and the shaft coming out the top of the starter have threads and the gear is suppose to raise up when u turn it over and it seems to me that is not happening. it could have some dirt or something stopping it. if that doesnt help u have to either pull the starter off. i'm not sure on your model but some of them r hard to get to the starter mounting bolts if that is the case u cn take the blower cover off(the plastic that covers the top of the engine) that will allow u access to the top of the starter. you can get a new starter gear that come with a new spring and clip that holds it on.

johnthall1975

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older Craftsman mower with a 15 hp B & S engine. It starts fine most of the time, but occasionally the starter motor spins, but does not engage with the fly wheel. If I manually rotate the top of the engine a half turn or so, it usually engages on the next try. Before I start taking it apart, can anyone tell me what is causing this, and what I need to do to fix it? Thanks.

being that its an older unit it probably needs a new starter gear. u will need the first two sets of #s model and type off of the id tag that should be on your blower housing or stamped on the top of your valve cover. it could be plastic which is most common or metal(the starter gear). if it doesn't work spraying pb blast on the starter gear and shaft i would do that next

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The spiral on the starter shaft is called the Bendex gear.
They are cheap but a little tricky to fit.
There is 3 different kinds used by Briggs and 2 different types of gears and 2 different tooth counts.
Just make sure that the one you buy matches the one you have.

Everclear

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for those great tips! Now I know what I'm looking for.