Engine Mower Seized?

Rubes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks,
I am looking for a hand with my Craftsman lawn tractor. I was mowing and it just died. I heard a sound that was a bit like a spring, but that was it. I didn't notice any smoke or anything like that. I checked the oil - wasn't bone dry, but it was below low, so I thought I seized it. Filled up the oil, tried to crank it once and it tried but wouldn't turn over. I then removed the spark plug, sprayed some Penetrating oil in where I had removed the plug. I tried spinning it by hand with the plug out and i can get 1 revolution and it stops. I go back the other way and stop after 1 revolution again (I assume at the same spot). Is it supposed to work this way or have I bleeped my engine up? I was afraid to try again with the key in case I would cause more damage. I did post a video of what is happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBXUCUoNuww

Model: 31H777
Type: 0202-E1
Code: 0304052F

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx,
Rubes

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Shine a light into the spark plug hole while turning the flywheel to see if the piston is moving up and down. If it doesn't move then rod is broke. if piston moved then most likely something in the head area is preventing complete rotation.

Txbiker

Threads
The first time mine let go it was a valve, motor turned easy enough until the piston got to the broken valve. Second time was the rod, threw pieces through the pan and made a mess of things inside. R.I.P. ole green. Was a good mower but the 16h.p. didn't have anymore to give.

Rubes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the guidance. I took the head off and indeed I have a broken exhaust valve. There is a small gouge in the center of the piston from where it hit the valve, but no visible scoring on the cylinder. Everything else in the process - springs, gaskets, etc. - appear to be fine.

I'm now well beyond my mechanical expertise, but is it worth getting a new valve? If it IS worth it, is there anything else I should replace along with it? I would never change the oil without changing the filter......anything like that for the valve?

Thanks,
Rubes

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not until you split the cases and check the con rod is OK.
Generally something like this will end the rod as well.
Rods are cheap.

Txbiker

Threads
Not until you split the cases and check the con rod is OK.
Generally something like this will end the rod as well.
Rods are cheap.

Exactly. If I had taken mine down it would probably still be happily mowing. Mine popped a valve and I just replaced it and kept on going. Everything was fine started first crank and ran good. Two weeks later it spit the rod out. I sold the mower for parts it really wasn't worth a repower after looking at briggs prices and the mower had a lot of time on it anyway.