Bahia Grass is getting real

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
It has rained every day now for like 3 or 4 weeks here in Lower Alabama and the nights are getting warmer. The Bahia Grass seems to have caught another gear. We changed blades the third time to finish the day today. It is going to be a long summer it seems.

primerbulb120

Threads
I feel sorry for you if you've only got Bahia to cut! That stuff is a pain to mulch, especially when it gets a foot tall. I use Gator G6 blades and double cut to achieve a decent cut, and this is on weekly yards! I probably wouldn't be in this business if I didn't have St. Augustine and Zoysia yards to even things out.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I feel sorry for you if you've only got Bahia to cut! That stuff is a pain to mulch, especially when it gets a foot tall. I use Gator G6 blades and double cut to achieve a decent cut, and this is on weekly yards! I probably wouldn't be in this business if I didn't have St. Augustine and Zoysia yards to even things out.

Down here where we live about everything you cut with very few exceptions has atleast some Bahia. We hit about 90 properties every two weeks and most properties are every two weeks.

The best thing I have ever found to cut it is a Tiger Cat Scag with highlift blades on it. They will normally cut it on one pass pretty clean but you have to make sure that when it goes to stringing out that you stop and change blades.

Yesterday we changed blades on both of the Tiger Cats we were running three times.

We got about 6 acres with two mowers on the first set of blades.

primerbulb120

Threads
You need to try the G6 Gators. The cutting edge is infused with carbide, it lasts longer than the edge on a standard blade.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need to try the G6 Gators. The cutting edge is infused with carbide, it lasts longer than the edge on a standard blade.

I have never run them on my Scags but I ran them on Kubotas when we ran them and I did not have good success cutting Bahia grass with Gators. I run Gators in the winter time to mulch leaves.

Bahia grass cut on a 2 week cycle is tough on about anything you cut it with.

primerbulb120

Threads
Did you use the regular Gators, or the G6 Gators? Regular Gators are slightly heavier than a stock blade, have a low lift and usually 3 mulching teeth. G6 Gators are a quarter inch thick, 3 inches wide, extremely high lift and 4 mulching teeth. And the cutting edge is carbide infused to make it last longer.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We run Oregon high lift blades. They are a fraction of the cost of Gator G6 blades and we can change blades on a Tiger Cat Scag in the field in 5 minutes literally or less. We have had great success by doing it that way.

I ran Gator Blades on my Kubota mowers back a few years ago but I did not see that really any better results cutting with them.