Kohler Command CV16 Hunting

logicsound

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hoping someone can help as I have googled the crap out of this problem and nothing has worked.

I have a poulan pro with a Kohler CV16 engine that hunts at idle, with full choke it does not hunt, at low speed it does not hunt. I have replaced the following with no changes
Air filter
Fuel filter (tried 4 kinds)
Fuel lines
New Carb
Spark Plug
breather hose
Gas (drained and filled with new gas)

The tractor ran before but after about 30mins of cutting it would start to hunt and I would have to play with the choke and then it would settle in (this is before I replaced any of the above) that was last year, this year it starts hunting right away, if I try to put a load on it then it might run for 5mins before it stalls out. I am going to make a youtube video tonight and will post the link.

Thanks for any help/suggestions

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Tank not venting properly, or fuel pump shutting down when hot. Could be issue with fuel solenoid, since Kohler only shuts off the main jet, but can be somewhat overridden by choke

logicsound

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply! I have tried a new gas cap and tried without one, Fuel pump was my next thing to try but I also was going to try bypassing the solenoid but I figured since I could hear it open with key then it was good, I did not know kohler only closed the main jet. The wiring to the solenoid was suspect and had been spliced once so I will look at bypassing it.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just had a Kohler Command CH20 in my shop doing the same thing. My very first though was carburetor. But as I was checking it out I found that the plug wires were bad from a future oil leak. I had to replace both ignition modules and it cured the hunting problem. The CH20 and CV16 are both Kohler Command engines so I don't know if this helps or not.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a poulan pro with a Kohler CV16 engine that hunts at idle, with full choke it does not hunt, at low speed it does not hunt. I have replaced the following with no changes
Air filter
Fuel filter (tried 4 kinds)
Fuel lines
New Carb
Spark Plug
breather hose
Gas (drained and filled with new gas)

You have done everything you can do with fuel delivery includes a new carburetor. A plugged low speed circuit in your carburetor will cause hunting, but a new carburetor shouldn't be plugged. I do understand my what you are saying about hunting because I do this work for paying customers. Did you read my earlier post???

logicsound

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes I read your post, just was not looking forward to buying those modules. Already about $200 into a lawnmower I bought for $400 so I was trying to avoid spending more money but I guess its worth one last shot.

logicsound

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well good news.. (kinda) I didn't want to put anymore money into this tractor without knowing for sure what the problem was so I did not replace the ignition modules.

I decided even though it was still hunting to go ahead and engage the blades and try to get my lawn cut and to my amazement it worked perfect!! I tried this before and it still hunted but not as bad and stalled after about 30mins. This time it ran for 3 hours!! and sounded great!

So does this give us a better clue as to what might be wrong? either way if I have to I can live with it hunting while the blades are not engaged.