Carb drain bolt question

PJS1

Forum Newbie
Threads
The carb on my recently purchased HRX217VLA w/GCV190 engine has only one bolt centered under the float chamber/carb bowl .. just like the picture Robert provided in the sticky for how to clean the carb. An older Karcher power washer I have with a Honda engine 160 size also has one bolt only under the chamber.

Looking at an older mower (a HRX217HMA pre 2015), its manual has a detailed procedure and illustration for draining the carburetor using a 10mm wrench on the drain bolt and that carb has both a drain bolt that's offset from the center in addition to a bolt like on mine that is centered under the float chamber. The manual with my new mower didn't address draining the carb.

My question is regarding long term storage if I decide to completely drain the gas ... should I remove the one bolt and its washer or should I just loosen the bolt and let any remaining gas drip out? If I remove the bolt, it looks like the float chamber may come off and I want to be sure I won't run into issues with the existing gasket or float when I put the bolt back in. Also what do you use to collect the gas draining from the hole from spilling .. theres' not much room under there to catch the gas.

Thanks

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can slacken 10mm bolt at bottom of carb and let it drain out then tighten.

You may also consider adding a fuel additive to the system.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also what do you use to collect the gas draining from the hole from spilling .. theres' not much room under there to catch the gas.

Thanks

Myself I use a small fruit bowl I keep just for that. I also wear vinyl gloves. There can't be anymore then a ounce of fuel in the float chamber.