Bad checks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have any of you guys had issues with people writing bad checks. I had a customer write me one for $100 back on February 28 of this year,on a closed account, and had to turn it over to the States attorney so they could file charges and collect my money. Guy plead guilty last Wednesday and go a call this morning to come pick up my money. Checked the court records this morning and wow was that one expensive check.

After restitution and court fees that check cost him $535.75

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have any of you guys had issues with people writing bad checks. I had a customer write me one for $100 back on February 28 of this year,on a closed account, and had to turn it over to the States attorney so they could file charges and collect my money. Guy plead guilty last Wednesday and go a call this morning to come pick up my money. Checked the court records this morning and wow was that one expensive check.

After restitution and court fees that check cost him $535.75

Down here passing a bad check is a crime so they get handed over to the fraud squad.
I don't get any recompense with the local system without taking civil actions which really is a Zero sum game.

I did not worry about it at first then I had 3 in one month so the attitude got changed
Now people who don't pay ( not many ) get handed over to a mate who works for a vicious debt collection agency.
had a kid stiff me for $ 700 last year , that cost him $ 2200 buy the time it was settled and they got it by impounding & selling his ute so he lost his job as well and is now living with his inlaws.
The first one I did was a moron living on 200 acres, 6 kids all driving $ 100,000 + cars. He stiffed me for $ 800 and ended up loosing his farm as the CRA ( credit reference agency ) recorded the actions so the bank refused to roll over the interest only loan he took out to buy the farm when it came due. The council cancelled his monthly rate payment schedule. He could not come up with the $ 3,000,000 outstanding on the property loan and the bank forclosed .
They came down & had a barney with me blaming me for their situation so I slapped them with restraining orders which caused him to loose his bus contract with the local schools and put the hire car lisences of his sons ( main business of the kids ) in jepoardy as down here Hire car company owners have to hold valid hire car lisences regardless of weather they drive or not.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Worse case here is wage garnishment, seizure of assets, and up to 6-12 month prison term. If the fines are not paid as required they issue an arrest warrant for contempt of court, which carries more fines and court fees.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can't speak on how it is now, but in 1979 I had a guy write me an out-of-state rubber check for $1250.

I called my county attorney who told me they had no jurisdiction.

I called the county attorney of the county where he lived and was told I had to file charges in person. It was 560 miles as the crow flies. That would be a minimum of 2200+ miles of driving and two days lost pay to take care of it.

Asked my bank about it. They said they could send it through again, but after the third try, they wouldn't do it again.

Luckily, it cleared on the second try.

hrdman2luv

Threads
The last check I wrote was in 2001. A pack of smokes and a coke cost me like $50. Since then, it's been debt card or cash. Here at the shop, I only take checks from my neighbors. If the people don't have cash, there's an ATM about 2 miles down the road. I tell them, I'll take off the $3 the ATM charges them if it's that big of a deal to them.

I like the pay pal thing though.

And my son turned me onto a phone app called "square cash". It only uses your debit card. But when someone pays you, you can select it to go straight into your bank account for 50 cents. And it's instant.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
No checks. They can pay me through my PayPal account.

I just started taking pay pal. Did my first transaction last week. Was charged $7 for it. I heard there's a way to get paid, without the charge. Is that true?

indulf

Forum Newbie
Threads
facebook messenger will let you send money for free.. no more paypal charges. venmo does the same.