Changing oil in K46 transaxle

Breezy7

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a YTD24V42LS 2011 lawnmower. My neighbor has same. His transaxle burned up because poor grade factory oil. Being repaired now but was told to put 5w50 syntheic in it. Oil is to be changed every 50hrs. Even though manual says lifetime. Anybody else having this problem. My has 110 hrs. running ok but don't want this to happen.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Who determined the factory oil was the cause of failure?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Factory oil is usually 10w30 or 10w40.
We are now told to use a 10w60 fully synthetic oil (mobil) in hard working tuff torq transmission and 5w50 oil in domestic.

It was the OEM that told me and not tuff torq themselves but it has made a difference.

Breezy7

Forum Newbie
Threads
Who determined the factory oil was the cause of failure?

A retired mechanic for Husqvarna. To change it the first 50 hours and then every 100 hrs. Before he retired several had come in the shop. Husqvarna would not accept that and stood with their policy of lifetime. Another mechanic looked at it and said bad oil. Fast forward six weeks, out of warranty and found parts for $275. will repair this week end.

peapicker

Threads
My heart almost skipped a beat when I saw this thread. "Ya mean I can change the tranny oil in that old POS I use to mow the meadow in my woods!??" In 04 I bought a disposable John Deere L series from Home Depot. It has 400 hours on it and has had less problems than my year old Hustler. It doesn't have the removable tank at the bottom. I've looked into oil change procedures hoping to buy a few more hours of life. All I have found, short of rebuilding, is to remove the transaxle. Then pop the vent cap, invert assembly, and allow to drain. Some owners carefully drill and tap an area to install a drain plug.