Kohler Courage 20 won't start

jered6323

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Husqvarna riding mower with a Kohler Courage 20 engine. Mowed the lawn with it the other day, and was letting it idle for a minute before shutting it off, and the engine died and will not restart. I checked the spark and it's good, compression is good, fuel flow is good. What has me stumped is that even when I try spraying starting fluid into the carb, it won't even try to fire. Any ideas?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The fuel shut off is stuck or not getting energised.
Spray some starter fluid down the carb, if it fires then check the solenoid function check for voltage on the wire at the plug and also ground on the other terminal.

No joy then pull the rocker covers and check for a bent pushrod / stuck valve.

jered6323

Forum Newbie
Threads
Like I said in my first post, spraying starter fluid into the carb and trying to start gets me nothing. It won't even try and fire.

Both pushrods look straight, but one of the valve rockers looks slightly off center. Could that be enough to cause it to not even fire with starting fluid?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the exhaust valve is not opening then you will have good compression, but nothing in the cylinder to burn.
So off with the rocker covers then rotate the engine by hand watch the valves moving and check where the piston is as the valves open & close.
The valves must open the same amount and sit at the same heights off the floor of the head ( wall if you like ) when fully open.

jered6323

Forum Newbie
Threads
I didn't think about rotating the engine while the rocker cover was off, but I'll try that when I get home.
Here are some pictures of what I was talking about. The rocker on the right appears centered, but the rocker on the left appears off center. If you look closely, it almost looks like the alignment is off (if that's what you can call it). The thing that goes on either side of the pushrod on the right is centered between the two nubs of the housing, while the one on the left appears to be down some and overlaps the nub.

IMG_4459.JPGIMG_4460.JPGIMG_4461.JPG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I didn't think about rotating the engine while the rocker cover was off, but I'll try that when I get home.
Here are some pictures of what I was talking about. The rocker on the right appears centered, but the rocker on the left appears off center. If you look closely, it almost looks like the alignment is off (if that's what you can call it). The thing that goes on either side of the pushrod on the right is centered between the two nubs of the housing, while the one on the left appears to be down some and overlaps the nub.

View attachment 32683View attachment 32684View attachment 32685

Those two nubs are held in place by the stud that holds the rocker.
Undo the rocker grub screw & adjusting nut.
Remove the rocker and loosen the stud, I have a sneaky yours will actually be a little loose .
Any way loosen it center the push rod guide the tighten the stud back up, tight.
Then refit the rocker & adjust it .
If the head overheats that stud will come loose.
A little locktite won't hurt ( high temp red one).
Been a while since I pulled one apart but from memory there is a little pip or something to locate that guide.
Check the rockers, they can wear badly and form a lip preventing the pushrod moving all the way so the valve does not open up fully.

jered6323

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry it took so long for me to reply with an update.

I took the rocker cover off today and rotated the engine by hand, and both rockers look like they move equally, with the one on the left moving slightly less.
Pulled the rocker off to straighten the pushrod guide, and this is what it looked like on the back side. Pretty worn off center where it's been.
IMG_4521.JPG
Also, the pushrod is still straight, but slightly worn where it's been rubbing on the guide that was off center.
So I'm ordering new rocker, pushrod, and rocker bolt.
I'm not very optimistic that this will fix my problem, but we'll see. Anything else I should check while I've got it apart?