Kohler V Twin 25hp Choke closed while running

fastgast57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Need some advice, I run a Craftsman 5000 and after mowing an hour or more the engine start to stall and act likes it's going to die & will eventually. I pulled off the air cleaner and the choke was stuck shut and the choke cable was pushed back out of the dash. I had to force the choke plate open with my finger and drove it to the shop. I've just changed oil, filter, fuel filter, new carb, new fuel pump and all new fuel lines. This was done 3 mos. ago as it had been sitting foe several years so I didn't want to mess around so replaced all fuel and oil related parts. Also verified the gas cap is ok. This problem has happened twice now and I stumped. When runs, it runs great, just after an hour or so it's choke slams shuts and quits, un stick choke and she runs fine. Thanks in advance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There was a clock spring on the top of the choke butterfly shaft that holds the choke open
Yours will be broken

fastgast57

Forum Newbie
Threads
There was a clock spring on the top of the choke butterfly shaft that holds the choke open
Yours will be broken

Just got in from the shop, it appears as the spring is fine, I physically moved the chock butterfly and it sprang back. When it shuts it takes quite a bit of pressure to unstick it and it forces the chock cable out, could it be related to the govern? maybe the linkage assembly?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just got in from the shop, it appears as the spring is fine, I physically moved the chock butterfly and it sprang back. When it shuts it takes quite a bit of pressure to unstick it and it forces the chock cable out, could it be related to the govern? maybe the linkage assembly?

CHOKE ?
the choke is connected to nothing but the choke cable so nothing else can be causing choke problems.
The choke butterfly is held in place by some screws on early ones or by pips pressed into the butterfly itself.
Me thinks the butterfly has worked loose on the the shaft .
If the screw has fallen out, guess where it is now ?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
A picture is worth a thousand words. One of the cable connected to the choke would do the trick. I am thinking when the carb was replaced the cable was not hooked up correctly.

fastgast57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply and sorry about no picture. I did all the work on the 5000 last summer and the tractor worked fine last season and the first part of this season. I did go out and check it against our 3000 ( basically the same Motor family) I recheck the linkages and they were the same. The butterfly screws were secured on the choke shaft. The only thing I can think of is The last time and hit some heavy grass and I think when the governor kicked the choke got slammed shut, not sure. When it does this the choke is forcibly closed, it takes pretty good pressure with the finger to unstick it and the cable is pushed out of the dash 1 ". This normally happens after mowing an hr or more. Every thing fuel has been replaced and swapped fuel pumps from the 3000 and nothing changed. I'm somewhat mechanical inclined Adjust valves etc but this one has me stumped.

fastgast57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry for not getting back sooner, it appears that the hose for the fuel pump was collapsing when the engine got warmed up. I noticed the hose was up against the heat shield and moved it away and have had no problems since...

KennethP.

Forum Newbie
Threads
You described exactly how my 23 horse twin Cyl Courage acted yesterday.10 yrs old and never had a problem till yesterday.I had been mowing all morning with no issues till I fuel it back up and started mowing.Would not crank till it set for a few.But,I could pull choke and it would fire back up.It would finally go back running for a while then same thing again.Finished mowing and it ran just fine for 30 min.