Recall for Greenworks and Kobalt twin-blade cordless mowers

MowerMike

Threads
  • / Recall for Greenworks and Kobalt twin-blade cordless mowers
Thanks for the heads up. My Greenworks mower has a date code that is not part of the recall. Is yours affected ?

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Thanks for the heads up. My Greenworks mower has a date code that is not part of the recall. Is yours affected ?

LIke yours, mine predates the affected production run - I think I saw where about 28,000 units could be affected?

Ran across the info somewhat accidentally on-line.

MowerMike

Threads
LIke yours, mine predates the affected production run - I think I saw where about 28,000 units could be affected?

Ran across the info somewhat accidentally on-line.

I noticed that Amazon had stopped selling them for awhile, and Lowe's no longer carries the Kobalt version.

MowerMike

Threads
An interesting twist to the circuit board saga. The left side battery port on my Twin Force has died and I can only run the mower with a battery inserted into the right side port. I first noticed this several weeks ago when the mower suddenly shut down while I was mowing with just one battery inserted in the left port. At first I thought the battery had discharged, but it still had two charge lights lit, so I switched to the right side port and completed my mowing without further incident. Today I inserted a charged battery in the left side port, and the mower ran for just a second before shutting down and refusing to restart. Again, I switched the battery to the right side port and mowed my lawn without any problems. When I was done, I inserted a second charged battery in the left side port, and when I started the mower it immediately selected the right side port. Normally with two batteries installed, it would first select the left side port and then switch to the right port when the left port battery became discharged. So, basically, I now have a mower with one live port and a second spare battery storage compartment. I have to swap the batteries when the first one becomes discharged, but at least I don't have to walk back to the house to fetch another battery. This mower is over four years old, so it is out of warranty to get a circuit board replacement, and I'm not going to bother purchasing a replacement as long as at least one battery port is still functional.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
An interesting twist to the circuit board saga. The left side battery port on my Twin Force has died and I can only run the mower with a battery inserted into the right side port. I first noticed this several weeks ago when the mower suddenly shut down while I was mowing with just one battery inserted in the left port. At first I thought the battery had discharged, but it still had two charge lights lit, so I switched to the right side port and completed my mowing without further incident. Today I inserted a charged battery in the left side port, and the mower ran for just a second before shutting down and refusing to restart. Again, I switched the battery to the right side port and mowed my lawn without any problems. When I was done, I inserted a second charged battery in the left side port, and when I started the mower it immediately selected the right side port. Normally with two batteries installed, it would first select the left side port and then switch to the right port when the left port battery became discharged. So, basically, I now have a mower with one live port and a second spare battery storage compartment. I have to swap the batteries when the first one becomes discharged, but at least I don't have to walk back to the house to fetch another battery. This mower is over four years old, so it is out of warranty to get a circuit board replacement, and I'm not going to bother purchasing a replacement as long as at least one battery port is still functional.

interesting - given any thought to some disassembly - if even to look for a broken wire or other obvious problem?

Mine still leaves a lot (well, more than at lower cutting heights and more than when it was new) of uncut stragglers - I try to 'overmow' them as I'm walking the next path but, I miss some and let others go. ALL the plastic teeth are gone form under the mower. I have tried to brainstorm a way to add something back that might have the same function. I also have thought about using a 'door sweep' - maybe the type with a brush? to extend the sides of the deck downwards, probably glue and/or pop rivet sections on the sides at least. - I guess the hope would be to increase suction in the cutting chambers. Just kinda lazy about trying anything I guess lol!

Mike, is the 60V mower much less maneuverable than the Twin blade? maybe I'll watch for a sale and upgrade before next season. Or, I might look for a refurbished twin blade 'tool only'....

MowerMike

Threads
Mike, is the 60V mower much less maneuverable than the Twin blade? maybe I'll watch for a sale and upgrade before next season. Or, I might look for a refurbished twin blade 'tool only'....

The 60 volt mower is not significantly less maneuverable than the Twin Force, given that the wheelbases and handlebar lengths are about the same. Of course, it is a couple of inches wider, so it can't get into some tight spots that are accessible to the Twin Force. Although it is about 15 lbs heavier it doesn't seem any more difficult to push, perhaps due to the larger front wheels and ball bearings in all of the wheels. It also has a nice comb built into the front deck insert that makes for a very clean cut and a minimum number of stragglers.

1932highboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sort of a high jack, but , I replaced the plastic sleeve bearing wheels with ball bearing wheels. It made a note able difference in the force required to push the mower. Anything to help this old man out!

MowerMike

Threads
1 Lucky Texan - Another possibility is this new G-MAX 40 volt model from Greenworks that would allow you to use your existing G-MAX 40 volt batteries:

https://www.amazon.com/GreenWorks-M...eywords=greenworks+g-max+40v+lawn+mower&psc=1

It is basically the same design as my 21" 60 volt model, except that it is instead 20" and has a dual battery port setup similar to the Twin Force. Amazon is currently selling the bare tool version for only $180.77 for a total of $195.68 including Texas sales tax. From what I can tell this new model replaces the 19" Digipro model that is no longer shown on the Greenworks website and is now being scalped by independent sellers for crazy high prices. It also appears that the 16" G-MAX model is being replaced with a new 17" model.